Gravity Fed Temp Variation.?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What kind of temp difference do you have from top to bottom grate.? 10*,25*, 40*, more ?
What Smoker do you have and what temp do you run at.?
Lump or Briquettes.?

Assassin 24 here. I've seen close to a 50 degree difference between the bottom and top racks. The bottom rack is right on top of the fire box heat baffle. I don't cook on it. I use briquettes.

After a couple of years of cooking on it, I have a pretty good "heat map" and know where to put the food.

T&K small GF, 25 degrees. I cook at 300 and use all natural charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I got me Old Country to 12* difference - Empty. Once I put 3 Racks of Ribs on it went to 40* difference but I put the Ribs on the top 2 grates so basically had a Heat Sink on Top.

My experience has been the same as Smoking Piney. I've learned that the bottom grate is more of a stove. I'll put a pan of baked beans on it for the last 1-1.5 hours and that's about it.

I also have about the same swing temps. The only difference is that I've found that the second shelf from the bottom runs pretty warm on the front right side (hotspot). I use that to my advantage.

Finally, I have recently begun putting a disposable aluminum cookie sheet over the outflow from the firebox. I feel like it's done two things:

1-Catches drippings
2-Really helps to distribute heat.

Hope that helps!

Back