THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Anyone smoke a brisket then keep in a controlled warmer for 10 or more hours? Interested in sharing any tips. Did you pull brisket from smoker little earlier than normal ? What temp did you run you warmer at?

I do sometimes, it gives me a lot of flexibility for when I serve being able to cook in advance and hold a period of time. I set my warmer to 142*. If the brisket is slightly under where I would like it to finish at, I will vent off less heat after I remove from the smoker, before it goes in the warmer. For a brisket that finished perfect texture, I will vent on the counter down to the 150’s then place the meat in the warmer, usually tightly wrapped.

Yes pull a little early. I think 150 is a pretty popular temp. It's not a bad idea let the brisket sit out for a bit before you start holding.

Seems like this is becoming standard procedure. Removes a lot of the stress over removing brisket at the perfect doneness/texture and timing it around when it's being served.

It's becoming standard procedure for a reason: it's just that much handy. I pull my briskets at 190/195, toss them into the oven at 150/160 and eat them for lunch the day after. I don't even bother feeling them for doneness anymore, they come out perfect every time. If I'm running late and wrapping them to finish them in the oven at 300, I don't even bother taking them out: the alarm rings, I turn the oven down to 150 or so, and go to sleep.

Thanks for the info. I have held 5 hours before, but thinking of going longer 2 fold purpose; 1. easier 2. seems to add tenderness and flavor the longer they sit.

Last brisket I did was an 18-ish hour hold. Smoked the evening before and let rest in my turkey roaster (thanks to SmokeNinja and thirdeye) @150 for the remainder until my guests showed up for dinner...and it was delicious. Jonesin to smoke another one now.

It REALLY helps with the convenience factor. Takes about 85% of the stress out of the equation, and by golly I think it comes out pretty tender too.

I usually have mine in 4” deep half sheet pans, with the brisket still in its butcher paper, and the pan covered with foil. A method some restaurants use is to wrap the briskets in plastic wrap and hold them like that in the warmer. I may give that a shot at some point.

when holding does everyone have the briskets wrapped in paper or foil?

Last one I tried the Foil Boat method and I really liked it. I kept it in the foil boat while holding. There's a "warming rack" in my roaster so I place it on there.

Last brisket I did was an 18-ish hour hold. Smoked the evening before and let rest in my turkey roaster (thanks to SmokeNinja and thirdeye) @150 for the remainder until my guests showed up for dinner...and it was delicious. Jonesin to smoke another one now.

It REALLY helps with the convenience factor. Takes about 85% of the stress out of the equation, and by golly I think it comes out pretty tender too.

I've been using the turkey roaster for over 7 years. I'm definitely not the first to hot hold for extended time but I have done my part to spread the technique. over the last year or so I've been seeing a lot of you tube and Facebook posts using the roaster method or some variation. it's definitely grown in popularity. for sure taking the stress out of timing is probably the biggest factor...besides it just making a better brisket

when holding does everyone have the briskets wrapped in paper or foil?

I wrap in paper during the cook...just after or at the stall. when I move to the hold I just take the wrapped brisket and put it in the roaster as is. if I am coolering I wrap foil around the paper and then wrap that in towels.

I do sometimes, it gives me a lot of flexibility for when I serve being able to cook in advance and hold a period of time. I set my warmer to 142*. If the brisket is slightly under where I would like it to finish at, I will vent off less heat after I remove from the smoker, before it goes in the warmer. For a brisket that finished perfect texture, I will vent on the counter down to the 150’s then place the meat in the warmer, usually tightly wrapped.

I was interested in your Alto Shaam warmer until I checked the price...:eek:

I recently got a MasterBuilt digital electric smoker to use for long holds. It has a bigger temperature swing than that Alto Shaam, but it had a lot smaller price tag too!

With water in the water pan and a small brisket flat on the 2nd shelf, the MB had a temp swing of 12°F when set at 155°.

I picked up a $2.40 lb angus packer from Sam's the other day. Made it on the rec tec and employed a few different technics.
180* super smoke 3 hours fat down
Then onto Bludawgs for 3 hours
Final Buldawg step incorporated the (Chuds) foil boat but, covered the top.
Checked after 1 hour and it was money, Pulled top to vent and stop the cook
Put in keep warm toaster oven for 3 hours with open foil boat.
One of my best

Back