Intro and chuckie question

Harriss Sea

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! So happy to have found this forum. I have a 3 lb grass fed chuckie that I plan on cooking tomorrow but am very limited on time. My plan is to cook on the Weber Kettle with indirect heat and pretty hot (350 ish). I am not sure if I should go for rare or more typical bbq finishing temp of 190+. Then slice it thin on a deli slicer for sandwiches. My hope is that by slicing it thin I will not have the typical toughness of a quick cook. Am I wasting a decent chunk of beef by doing this? Any suggestions for finishing temp for sliced not pulled? Thanks!

Just cook it until it is probe tender. You want your thermometer to poke right through that sucker with little/no resistance. Its somewhere in the 200 degree neighborhood, but I couldn't tell ya, I've never actually taken the temperature. at 350 you may get some pretty crunchy edges. I would guess it'll take ya3 hours maybe?

Love me some PSB (Kevin's link). I normally do chuckies at 275* and they take 8 to 9 hours to make them pull apart tender. I have never tried to make one slice tender. I'd just get a couple steaks and save this for when you had more time to do it right...

That being said, let us know what you do and how it turns out...

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up doing a 2 hour cook on the kettle at 350 against all advice. It was too small to worry with the slicer so I sliced it by hand as thin as possible and it turned out okay. This cut really needs low and slow but I was limited on time so I went for it with not so great results but it did make a few good sandwiches. Surprisingly the bark wasn't there even with the high heat but it was pretty moist. The problem was the connective tissue never really had a chance to melt so it had to be removed by hand. Long story short a chuckie needs time on the grill. You just can't rush it. I'll go with a much longer cook next time. Thanks again.

Back