Tel Tru Therms seem like a rip off

My LSG pit came with Tel-Tru therms and I actually replaced them with RCs. I gave a couple of the Tel-Trus to friends and put the other two on other cookers.
I like to be able to calibrate my thermometers and even though Tel-Trus are accurate from the factory over time with any jarring, as well as expansion and contraction due to temperature changes they can lose their accuracy just like any thermometer will. I like to re-calibrate my thermometers once a year and with River Country I can.:wink:
I agree with others that Tel-Tru is over priced and River Country is about the best therm for the price that's out there!:thumb:

Have you had Tel-Tru therms that failed to keep their accuracy? I have only had 1 TT and no RCs so my experience is limited. I guess I need to keep the 3 RCs that I originally bought just in case.

AshCroft if you want the best. Your mounting kit looks fine to me. I have Tru Tel also on one pit, not as happy with it as AshCroft.

Have you had Tel-Tru therms that failed to keep their accuracy? I have only had 1 TT and no RCs so my experience is limited. I guess I need to keep the 3 RCs that I originally bought just in case.
No my Tel-Trus are still reading "true" (pun intended) but being the control freak that I am I decided to change over to a thermometer that I could keep calibrated which is what is great about the RCs. Pretty much every dial thermometer that I've ever had eventually got out of wack over time and it's nice to have that adjustment screw on the back to hone it back in again.
Using a pot of boiling water I get all three of the thermometers on my pit's main chamber calibrated together until they match my digital thermometer which is dead on at about 212 F. This way I know that when I adjust the tuning plates on my pit the thermometers are reading correctly and I can see with some confidence what effect the plate adjustments are having on the pit. Again though, most people aren't as OCD about their thermometers as I am.:crazy::mrgreen:

You know what I hate about RCs, and most BBQ thermometers? I don't need a farking thermometer to tell me that I'm smoking, grilling, or broiling. I want the damn temperature. I'm buying tell trus just because I don't want colors and superfluous info. Simple white face with black letters and a black dial please.

If I had the resources, I think there's money to be made making BBQ thermometers that are a more basic design...

You know what I hate about RCs, and most BBQ thermometers? I don't need a farking thermometer to tell me that I'm smoking, grilling, or broiling. I want the damn temperature. I'm buying tell trus just because I don't want colors and superfluous info. Simple white face with black letters and a black dial please.

If I had the resources, I think there's money to be made making BBQ thermometers that are a more basic design...
I agree! The older my eyes get, the harder it's getting to see through the colors to tell what the temps are unless I get up close and the zone labels on the faces are out-dated. With the way we cook today the grilling and broiling zones are really just "high and fast" cooking temps.:-D

I have had great luck with the Prosense on my Deep South. But, I will probably get Tel Tru's for my Shirley.

Good point! I have always really liked the simple look of the Tel-Tru on my cabinet smoker. Black dial and numbers on a grey background. I also like that it is 5". So easy to read as I don't expect my eyesight to improve anytime soon.

I agree! The older my eyes get, the harder it's getting to see through the colors to tell what the temps are unless I get up close and the zone labels on the faces are out-dated. With the way we cook today the grilling and broiling zones are really just "high and fast" cooking temps.:-D

Good point! I have always really liked the simple look of the Tel-Tru on my cabinet smoker. Black dial and numbers on a grey background. I also like that it is 5". So easy to read as I don't expect my eyesight to improve anytime soon.

I hate the three colored zones on the RC therms.....but I found these:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U4V6C0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : 3" River Country (RC-T34FC) Dual Range Adjustable F & C BBQ, Grill, Smoker, Thermometer : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TCb%2B32NSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51TCb%2B32NSL[/ame]

and paid $70 for 4 therms instead of $215 for the Tel Trus.

PJ...I have a 5 inch RC therm on my UDS (in my avatar)....it's huge! Makes reading it really easy too.

As much as I hate to admit it, I am not a spring chicken any longer and am looking to get the larger thermometers. Looking to replace my RC's with larger RC's or Tel Tru's. The 5 inch dial with 4 inch stem is probably the way I am going to go.

I'm sticking 3" RC in the Bandera this evening...The colors etc don't bother me since I look at it like a clock...If my needle is at 11:00 (5:00ish for the fat end), I'm running 250.

I love my River Country's I have used the 5"s and the 3"s. I think they look great on the smoker also!

Attachments

• Customer Appreciation Day 2016 1.jpg
    Customer Appreciation Day 2016 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 85
I have a couple of the RC units- I like them. I just don't care for the colors. Wonder why they can't go with a simple white/gray back ground, black needle and black lettering. What's so hard about that?

Back