Fishing Food

bigjake690

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was recently invited to go out on a friend of a friend's boat to participate in a Rockfishing tournament. It has become tradition on other fishing trips with my friend to make cold/cooler food to take on the boat for everyone to munch on when they get hungry. Previously we have made chicken salad with smoked chicken, roast beef, turkey, tri tip, etc.

Since I have never been on this guys boat I wanted to make something nice as kind of a "thank you" for inviting me. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on something that would be good to make beforehand and then put in the cooler? I love cooking, so I want to make something awesome.

Back when we had a boat, my best friend would always bring along "Vietnamese sandwiches", head cheese, a little mayo, shredded carrots and cilantro. For some reason they always tasted really good out in the salt-water.

It KILLS !!!!!

Use bacon ends, cut small......60% taters / 40% bacon........

I eat 'till I puff up, every time.......not totally sure if it would go well on a real rocky boat cruise, but hey....maybe so?

I was recently invited to go out on a friend of a friend's boat to participate in a Rockfishing tournament. It has become tradition on other fishing trips with my friend to make cold/cooler food to take on the boat for everyone to munch on when they get hungry. Previously we have made chicken salad with smoked chicken, roast beef, turkey, tri tip, etc.

Since I have never been on this guys boat I wanted to make something nice as kind of a "thank you" for inviting me. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on something that would be good to make beforehand and then put in the cooler? I love cooking, so I want to make something awesome.

Hmmmm....rockfishing tourniment....what do you use for bait???? Pebbles???? :crazy::crazy:

Depending on the boat size, bringing a large rubbermaid container full of smoked turkey, salmon, chicken and cheeses or any combo of could be a problem. Smoke a couple fatties and slice up, some cheeses and crackers. Always goes over well, easy to eat one handed and doesn't take up much room. Or premake up some smoked fatty n egg n cheese breakfast sandwiches, they go quick.

Depending on the boat size, bringing a large rubbermaid container full of smoked turkey, salmon, chicken and cheeses or any combo of could be a problem. Smoke a couple fatties and slice up, some cheeses and crackers. Always goes over well, easy to eat one handed and doesn't take up much room. Or premake up some smoked fatty n egg n cheese breakfast sandwiches, they go quick.

That's a good idea. I hadn't even thought about making a fatty.....that would go over pretty well. Thanks!

I stripe fish ( rockfish ) a lot. We are usually either trolling umbrella rigs, or dropping live shad down to the fish. Sometimes we do some topwater fishing, but not quite as much. My suggestion is sandwhiches. Use a good bread, and load them with plenty of good meat, good cheese, and good mustard or spread. Dont get to fancy. Our stripe run in schools so the fishing is hot then cold until you find a new school. If it is hot well your sandwhich may just get tossed after the first bite. If it is cold then you may enjoy the whole thing. Either way, keep it simple, tasty, and best of luck. Striped bass are good eating, just remove the blood line and enjoy.

Sounds like it would also be a good thing to make it "small" finger food. Like a two or three bite sandwich. Something that can be finished or tossed quickly in case the fish start biting, or two or three can be ate when it's slow.

What about pulled pork on Hawaiian rolls? The pork may be cold, but it will still be tasty. And the Hawaiian rolls are small enough to be eaten quickly.

I"d bring CowGirl!! Because this is what I pack for my Fishing trips and hers is like fine dining > Beer, Cigars, Vienna Sausages, Beanie weenies, Cigars, Beer, Beef jerky, Slim Jims, Beer, a few Hershey bars, sometimes not everytime in fact once in a while I even remember to bring the bait.

All the sammich meat & beer recommendations are solid, but I don't go fishing withour frozen Snickers minis, just sayin!

All the sammich meat & beer recommendations are solid, but I don't go fishing withour frozen Snickers minis, just sayin!

I don't go fishing or hunting without a can of Spam, loaf of cheap white bread and a knife. If you like to cook....smoke some Spam. The beer goes without saying.

Bierocks, Made of course with some smoked meats etc. Easy to eat and not messy. Leaves one hand for the fishing.

My boat meals typically consist of a bag of chips and a can of BBQ flavored vienna sausages.

Vienna sausages turn into ribeye on a boat.

All this one-handed talk, guess tater salad in a bowl with sharp forks won't go well on the rolling seas......I forgot about this........pulled pork & Deep Fried Tater Salad .....in a giant tort.....one hander if I've ever seen one.....

1st giant flour tort w/ row of pulled pork (or beef )

EndAug2012Wok085.jpg

2nd Tater salad....
( I'm using deep fried tater salad )

EndAug2012Wok087.jpg

At this point you can add a bit of sauce, I've used Ron's,
or some jalepeno ranch dressing that is part of the salad ~~~>

Roll...

EndAug2012Wok091.jpg

Cut...& enjoy !!!

EndAug2012Wok092.jpg

Back