Probing a wrapped brisket

Thatgrimguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Scott
So, I got bit with the brisket bug and have been doing one every weekend for a few weeks now. I'm still having inconsistent results. I love the au jus I get from wrapping my brisket. It's one of the best things I have found for keeping a sliced brisket delicious during serving. BUT, I can't probe check my brisket at the end so I've been relying on temp.

How do those of you that wrap your brisket handle probing? Do you just unwrap and probe? I'm worried this will cause a sudden temp drop and run a risk of spilling all that gravy gold.

Poke through the wrapper. Something no one else is gonna tell ya you only need to probe the thickest part of the flat WHY you ask??? Because it is the last place to get probe tender, I've cooked Thousands and it never lies.

just probe through the foil but just do not do what did one time and went to far and went through the bottom and leaked into my cooker , lol :wink:

If you want to unwrap it for a more visual area to probe, then do it. No harm is done.

But, i'm still convinced that temp, after experience, is not as bad an indicator as some might think. Yeah, critters differ etc..., but there is still something to be said for the temp at which things get done. It's more consistent than you might think.

After time and experience, the feel as you pick up a wrapped hunk may tell you alone.

And the reference temp is never bad once you get cooks under your belt.

Back