Spog

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Made up a "prime" prime rib last night for a neighbors birthday and just spog'd it and they wanted to know what fabulous rub I used.
Now in all honesty I just sprinkle by eye till i think it looks about right and got me to thinking has anybody made up a shakers worth of the stuff and might have some measurements for same?
Ed

Oh and by the way, I'll soon be single again as my dear sweet wife sent the leftovers home with birthday boy......

Last edited:
I use the following for brisket:

1 part kosher salt
1 part coarse ground black pepper
1/2 part granulated onion
1/2 part granulated garlic

I can't help you with the measurements but I like your sense of humor.

Made up a "prime" prime rib last night for a neighbors birthday and just spog'd it and they wanted to know what fabulous rub I used.
Now in all honesty I just sprinkle by eye till i think it looks about right and got me to thinking has anybody made up a shakers worth of the stuff and might have some measurements for same?
Ed

Oh and by the way, I'll soon be single again as my dear sweet wife sent the leftovers home with birthday boy......

Give Ted & Barneys Seasoning a try.

They are a vendor here on the Brethren. That seasoning has the right amount of everything. If you find their thread in the vendor section, you can sign up to win a free bottle! I won a free bottle and when that was done, I went to their website and bought a 5 lb. tub! It is that good.

You could make your own but the way I look at it, once you buy all the stuff to make your own, it's cheaper to buy it already mixed up for you.

You'll also be supporting a Brethren Member.

I use the following for brisket:

1 part kosher salt
1 part coarse ground black pepper
1/2 part granulated onion
1/2 part granulated garlic
It's best to do this by weight, for consistent results. Salt, especially, can vary.

It's best to do this by weight, for consistent results. Salt, especially, can vary.

That's true, but this ain't rocket surgery. (love that line!)

Mine is equal parts kosher salt and coarse black pepper by volume, with much less garlic powder and onion powder.

You'll end up with what tastes best for you.

Go Team SPOG!

1/2 parts? That's a lot of onion and garlic powder!

I use the same mix by volume because I don't have a scale. I only make about a cup at a time, so I wouldn't think it would make much difference. Let me know how wrong I am.

As far as keeping it, I keep a dredge of it in the freezer all the time and it's always available. We like to use it on salads, veggies and sometimes on popcorn.

I rarely, actually, never use onion powder. There's something about it that I can taste or smell that disagrees with me, any onion powder.

Anyone else ever notice something like that?

Salt, pepper, garlic powder sprinkled by eye are my go to regulars for most everything.

Yeah, I still just go by eye. And I try to remember to go in SPOG order, that way the small granuled OG don't block the SP from sticking. Not sure that makes sense...

S alt
P epper
O live oil
G arlic

Rub the pork beef chicken etc with olive oil

In a shaker mix equal parts Kosher Salt and Coarse Grind dustless black pepper.
You can go one inch of each. Then add about 1/4 inch granulated garlic (not powder).
Want a little color add 1/4 inch Paprika.

This last part- the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch re: the garlic and Paprika. This is where I've substituted a quality brisket rub like Sucklebusters, John Henry, any other quality rub you desire.

Roll it mix it well and shake it on as liberal as you can- while still being able to see the meat.

Caveat- I know most interpret the O for Onion but I don't use enough onion powder/granules so I go with the Commercial Rub to highlight the KS/CBP

Back