Theres Always a First!

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
So I have been reading about mold issues in UDS drums for the last year since I have owned one. I have never had that problem a once.

So me being me, I decided to clean the grease out of the bottom of my UDS and while I was at it, I took the hose to my coal basket/Ash Catcher. Not a big deal unless you put it back inside of a sealed up drum while it is still wet!

I smelled something funny near my drum a couple days later, lifted the lid, solid mold from top to bottom with water dripping off the lid. :doh:

After a real good power washing and scrub down, I did a nice long season run low and slow at first then brought it up over 350 for 5 hours. So far no mold.

Lesson learned!! :oops: No wet items in the drum. Let it all drip dry and then light a fire and get it hot.

Me too about 2 months ago cuz I choked out fire but didn't empty water pan or open intakes/exhaust afterwards

Gave it a bath with 50/50 Bleach Water and a GOOD rinsing , sprayed with Pam and went to cooking.

WSM will do that too if you leave all the vents closed while storing. I leave all mine open now so the air doesn't get stagnate.

I keep all the vents on my drum closed and haven't had any issues with mold.... It is more about the moisture in the drum than anything else.

I keep all the vents on my drum closed and haven't had any issues with mold.... It is more about the moisture in the drum than anything else.

Yep, this exactly. On my BP EDS it has been sealed up for a at least 1 month or 2 now and no mold. Clean as can be and smells like I just smoked a pork butt in it yesterday. Mmmmmmm

I 100% believe the issue I had was tossing a soaking wet coal basket in and putting the lid on the drum sealed up.

And yeah I wish I had got some pics but was too down in the dumps for a photo shoot. I came in the house looking like someone kicked me in the boys and shot my dog. My wife let out a little snicker and smile as she so very heart felt told me how bad she felt for me. :becky: I loved her sincerity. :boxing:

1 wet coal basket coast me a year of built up flavor.

Back