UDS for grilling

PWHathaway

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to use my UDS as a smoker and for grilling? I don't smoke everything I cook. Sometimes I'll use my UDS for Kabobs, grilled chicken, steaks, etc. Will this affect my smoking? I'm pretty new to all this. I got the smoker as a gift. My fiancée found me a drum and bought me a big poppa smoker drum kit. Thanks.

Several guys on here grill on their UDS - Ill always have a Weber Kettle to grill on no matter what smokers I got.

Yeah I was just curious if would cause any problems when it comes time to smoke. I may invest in a charcoal grill for grilling. Haven't decided.

Why not modify the it so you can move the charcoal basket up higher in the drum closer to the top rack?

Many folks on here use their UDS for smoking, grilling, even pizza. Its my utility grill.

Well I usually put the grill on the top rack and the charcoal basket on the middle setting. Seems to work fine. I just didn't know if it would change the dynamics of the drum or anything.

This is from Harry Soo's website. He doesn't advocate the cooking of hot dogs, seafood or fish on the same WSM he uses for chicken, ribs, other pork and beef because of the flavors.

You need the “aroma” which takes several years to build up. I NEVER mix my meat WSMs from my seafood and hotdog WSMs. Nothing destroys the aroma faster than cooking fish/seafood/hotdogs in a WSM used to cook chicken, ribs, pork, brisket, and tri tip. That’s why you should buy a pair if you plan to cook seafood/fish/hotdogs. Better yet, get a Weber Kettle for those meats.

I know it is for a WSM, but the same idea applies to a UDS. I use my UDS exclusively for smoking. I've got a gasser and an OTS for grilling. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the opinion. I will steer clear with the foods you mentioned. What about seafood on a plank? Isn't that a bit different?

My buddy smoked some salmon in my UDS. It took a lot of pressure washing to get rid of that horrible smell. I've never used my UDS as a grill, but I doubt it would hurt it. I just wouldn't grill any fish/seafood on it.

Matt

Thanks for the opinion. I will steer clear with the foods you mentioned. What about seafood on a plank? Isn't that a bit different?

I'd rather do it indirect on my OTS or gasser... again, that is just my opinion. I compete using my UDS, too, so I want to keep that seasoned patina free from anything that could mess with it.

Think of it like smoking a cigarette in a car. You do it once, it takes forever to get that smell out of there. And, that smell continues to stick to your clothes and whatever else you put in that car for quite a while. Not saying that salmon and hot dogs smell like cigarettes, but I think you get the picture.

Yeah I understand what you're getting at. Thanks for the suggestions.

I cook everything on my Weber Kettles. Meat, fish, chicken, and vegetables. I've never had a problem with the tastes of food being affected. It is standard procedure to sterilize food cooking equipment in boiling water, 212 degrees. Most of us cook at temperatures above that. Especially when you talk about grilling.

For some reason, my UDS won't get up to grilling temps -
so I use my OTS for high heat cooks.
I did some salmon on my smoky joe and man, that smelled bad when I lit it up next time, had to burn the nasties off. I might try planked salmon, but never again straight on the grill. Unless I dedicate a grill to fish only. But Wahoo and Tuna (the main fish I catch) don't stink it up like salmon.

I've been able to hold about 400 on my uds. Have seen it higher, but not consistently.

The BPS is the best grill I've used....clean hot burn, sears like a beast, cool zone around the outside for smoking then middle for grilling.

I grilled a little on my UDS last weekend, it worked out pretty well, I tried with the fire basket on the bottom of the UDS and fire basket sitting on the lower grate. I had a full load of coals from smoking some stuff beforehand, so it got pretty hot cooking with the lid off.

I think they key for grilling on a UDS is to have plenty of intake to generate the high temps and the right amount of coals.

What kind of coals do you prefer? I usually just use kingsford briquettes.

Yep. Just modify your basket so you can raise it up to grate level for high heat grilling. It won't affect anything when it comes time to smoke again.

Back