New Santa Maria Pit

awesome build! Sorry if it's not clearly obvious, we don't have much of these in my neck of the woods, but how does one remove the ash?

awesome build! Sorry if it's not clearly obvious, we don't have much of these in my neck of the woods, but how does one remove the ash?

If you are more talented than I am (which most of you probably are), you can build a door into the side and scoop it out that way. I talked to a few others that did it the same way as I did... I will just roll up the grill, pull out the fire grill, and scoop them out whenever they get too much. Then just set everything back in.

Need to be burning some wood in that bad boy, lump will get mighty expensive.

Absolutely! I just had that on hand, and a small amount of wood for the burn-in and first cook. I have a source of local red oak here, so in the future I will be burning that instead.

I had my concerns over venting and getting enough air for a good burn, but after talking to a few folks, I relaxed a bit. They were right, I did not need to worry at all. Fire burned great. Upper block got a bit hot, so I will certainly be placing the fire brick all the way to the top for future cooks. That extra layer should help quite a bit.:razz:

Back