Well That Was A Disaster

smokingmeats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Went out to pull the brisket I put on at 6am this morning, and it turned out I had a grease fire raging in my WSM. My smoker is now ruined (deformed and warped) from the heat.

I dont know what Im more pissed about, the fact that Im without a smoker now, or the fact that I woke up at 515 am and had been working on this brisket the whole day.

On the bright side, I smoke in my garage (semi-controlled climate) and that didnt burn down. But it was close.

If any of you know of a good smoker in the minneapolis/st paul area that is on the market, let me know because Im now in the market!

How did you get a grease fire in your WSM?

You're lucky you didn't lose your garage. (In the future you should probably cook outside.)

What warped? Are you sure it can't be repaired?

How did you get a grease fire in your WSM?

You're lucky you didn't lose your garage. (In the future you should probably cook outside.)

What warped? Are you sure it can't be repaired?

The fat from the brisket had dripped accumulated in the water pan and caught on fire.

The top isnt circular any more, and the mid-section is shaped like a rugby ball.

that must have been a huge grease fire to deform the steel. Indeed, lucky the garage didn't ignite

Wow! Seems like you avoided disaster. Count your blessings and Im with Harbormaster on not smoking in the garage.Especially unattended.

Fortunately you lost a brisket, maybe a WSM, but the dwelling is still intact.

I hope everything works out for you...

Wow. Dodged a major bullet there. I guess another good reason to have a Maverick type probe where you can catch the sudden increase in heat...

Glad you didn't lose your house.

I've never heard of that happening either. Did you happen to take any pic's for insurance reasons etc. ? Must have been some smoke damage with a grease fire like that.

Can you post pictures? Never heard of this, can't understand what you're referring to.

Total freakin bummer. I feel your pain. Sorry about the sh*%@y experiance. But, one day you'll be laughing about it. :-o

Your fire had to be pretty damn hot for the accumulated brisket fat to catch fire in the water pan. I have fat come to a slow boil, but it's never gotten that hot.

If you're going to use the water pan dry, you should have an "air gap" or insulator between the bottom of the pan and what you're catching the grease in (water pan wrapped in foil I presume). Put in a clay flower pot base, wadded up foil, crushed cans (my preferred method), something so the grease doesn't get so hot.

All things considered, you got taught a $350 lesson that could have been much more expensive.

I am sorry for your horrible experience.

I am no expert here but burning fat on top of water is pretty rare. I assume the water had evaporated and the melting fat hit the hot pan.
Did you trim your brisket of most of the fat?

Can you post pictures? Never heard of this, can't understand what you're referring to.

Yes im confused myself. How did you have it setup? Did the grease catch fire in the pan or overflow? Please explain

Yes im confused myself. How did you have it setup? Did the grease catch fire in the pan or overflow? Please explain

The fire was coming from the grease pan. My guess on what happened. I over filled the smoker with coals and the flames got to large. I didnt have any water in the pan so it was just grease in there. One of the flames caught the grease, and then the whole pan caught on fire.

The fire was coming from the grease pan. My guess on what happened. I over filled the smoker with coals and the flames got to large. I didnt have any water in the pan so it was just grease in there. One of the flames caught the grease, and then the whole pan caught on fire.

Wow that's pretty crazy... Glad it didn't ignite your whole garage :shock:
Did you take any carnage pics of your WSM? Sounds like it was a really hot fire...

Back