First Cook on Old Country Over N Under

Falsepaul

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I purchased my first stick burner. The unique and mysterious Old Country Over N Under from Academy. I say mysterious because I found absolutely ZERO information on the specifics with exception of one thread here on the Brethren and even on that thread there was a deal of guessing. So before I get to the cook here is everything relevant that I was about to measure on the pit.

• 1/8 inch steel all over. No extra material on the door like the Wrangler
  • Sliding Cooking tray is 19.75 x 30.25
  • The Cooking Chamber is 20 X 36. There is a 3 inch gap on either side of the cooking tray. Handy for manuvering the Maverick Probes.
  • The Fire box is 16 X 36
  • There are 2 cooking grates for the fire box that add 15.75 x 30.25 of grilling area if you want to hunch down. I removed them
  • The Charcoal Grate they give you has no sides. Its 11 X 28. I removed it and my dad made one 28 X 11 out of expanded steel with a 2 in lip. Worked great.

If i missed something just ask. On to the cook.

The most fun I had was lighting the whole thing with the torch!

I only used 3 logs to start and after and hour and 10 minutes added an other 3. This kept my temps in the 280 to 290 range. Most importantly this pit advertises no hot spots. The Maverick agreed.

I began using 2 logs after the that and temps stayed in the 230 to 250 range for about 50 to 60 minutes before 2 more logs were needed

Interesting side note. I can set my my next few logs on the fire box to warm and I am still able to open the fire box because they sit behind the hinge.

I cooked a rack of beef ribs, a chicken that I brined the night before, some homemade deer sausage, and since I knew I would such distinguished company would see this cook, a fatty.

Deer sausage came off first, is was juicy and hadn't done that exploding thing that fresh sausage likes to do.

Next came the fatty.

20141130_1528331_zpse5d8f82d.jpg
[/URL]

It was really juicy and cooked well but I chose the wrong rub to put on it (my beloved Plowboys). It was just a bit too salty. Next time it will be something sweeter, since the sausage I used was already salty.

20141130_1529201_zps7335d321.jpg
[/URL]

Then came the chicken. My chicken brine has remained the same for years. 1/3 cup Salt, 1 cup sugar, per gallon of water. Everything else is gravy. This time I also added coriander, onion, and Garlic Chili paste.

It came out juicy and had a great color that seems to be a bit lost in the pic I took. Skin was rubbery but I wasn't expecting anything else. I used Plowboys on the chicken and as usual tasted great.

Finally the ribs.

Ribs had only salt and coarse ground pepper and were definitely the best thing that that I cooked. They cooked right at 5 hours. Tender juicy but most importantly, not mushy.

Overall I love the new pit. Its going to take a deal of use to get the temperature completely under control, so no brisket anytime soon. That said, almost all of the issues I had were user error.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my first cook.

very nice! everything looks good. I do have to say that when I saw pic 12, I thought damn those look good, I bet the cross-section pic will be even better. and it was. good job!

AwRighty!! I like it! Food Looks Good. I would probally add grate to the 3" end gaps if I had one. Just weld angle to existing angle and to end cap and tack down a strip of expanded metal. These would be permanent and would help with Large cooks. The wood/coal rack that comes in them is a bit flimsy but can be beefed up easily as one guy did in my original thread.

I'm still waiting for BluDawgs post saying he got an Over n Under. :heh:

I'm going to use the original Charcoal pan in the bottom of the cooking chamber next time to hold a drip pan. The vents for the smoke to enter the chamber seem to be very close to flush with the floor (might have a slight lip). I learned this to my dismay when I attempted to hose it out. Oh well, I'll know better next time.

Thank you so much for your original thread. It is literally the only source of information on this pit. The Academy website is useless.

The Grate Extensions could be done no weld - with Rivets or stainless steel bolts. :thumb:

After you get a few cooks on it - Have a Party and load that thing with 6 Butts or 8 Whole Chickens or 15 racks of ribs (in Rib Racks) and post it with lots of Pics!!!!! :twitch:

Those dino ribs looks great along with everything else. You're new smoker looks like a winner too. I predict you'll have a brisket on that thing before New Years day. Fire, smoke, chunk of beef and cold beverage = a perfect day!

Congrats on your new pit!!! Food looks awesome.

When I cook for my wife and family I usually use no rub at all. Only use rubs when I do a competition cook.
We like the taste of meat. Salt and pepper is allowed on our table.

Glad to see somebody documenting this pit doing some cooking. Looks like you got a winner. I think you made a good move redesigning the fire grate; keeping direct heat an inch or two away from the steel will do a lot to make it and the paint last.

I use 1/8" (11-12 gauge) in a lot of my builds and like to line my fireboxes with firebrick splits, essentially a 1/2 thickness firebrick that is 4-1/2 X 9 X 1-1/4 thick. Something like these:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325974_200325974.
You can also get them at Ace hardware or if you have a good brickyard nearby they should have them for a lot less. They are easily cut/shaped with a masonry wheel on a small grinder. If you have room it is a pretty good investment.

Thanks DW. My next mod is going to be toggle clamps to close gaps in the lid created the gasket. The odd shape of the lid has created some interesting challenges. They should be here Friday.

I enjoyed documenting the cook. I'll definitely do it again next time I fire it up

Thanks DW. My next mod is going to be toggle clamps to close gaps in the lid created the gasket. The odd shape of the lid has created some interesting challenges. They should be here Friday.

I enjoyed documenting the cook. I'll definitely do it again next time I fire it up

What kind of baffle does it have where the firebox meets the cook chamber? Pictures?

Yep, nice pit. Great cook. My Academy has yet to have any of these pop up, so thanks for all the great pics. I want to see one up close! Congrats !

What kind of baffle does it have where the firebox meets the cook chamber? Pictures?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182649

The 2 chambers share a wall - there is a series of 2-3" holes down that wall. In side the cook chamber there is a sheet of lighter gauge steel angled backwards covering the holes (their is an air gap between sheet and wall) leaving a 1/2" gap all way across the back wall of cook chamber at or just below grate level.

Cook chamber view:

FireBox View:

Last edited:

This is view from the cooking chamber beneath the baffle. You can see the light coming in through the vent hole. I got much less water in the fire box than i thought, when I cleaned it out so there must be a bit more of a lip between the floor of the cooking chamber and the bottom of the vent hole

This is another view of the fire box without the grates or charcoal plate. You can see the vent holes at the very top

This last one is a close up of the vent holes. You can see the baffle in front of them

Your cook is only beat out by your outstanding job of giving information on this pit!

Great job all around sir!:clap::clap:

It kinda looks like a cheaper "The Good One." 1/8" steel instead of 1/4" but the design is similar.

Saw that cooker at Academy last month, it appears to be a new design for that company. It is a very good design imo, not heavy duty but heavy enough (looks to be between like 1/8 to 3/16) for most all backyard type bbq lovers, would not even be afraid to take it to a comp. Thanks for the report, well done.

Back