Shhh Chilli secrets revealed.

I am glad to see this pop up again. I just made a batch two weeks ago when the temps started to drop.

I fancy a chili that is more along the lines of a traditional texas style. I use a mixture of Beef chuck and pork shoulder. Brown it off, then carmelize onions and garlic in the same pot. I then hit that with a LOT of dried chiles and cumin. I use a mix of ancho, pasilla, chipotle, and chile de arbol. All will add some different flavors and heat to the mix. Then when that's all toasted up I deglaze it with a good dark beer, hit it with a jar of tomatoes and simmer for a few hours until the meat will shred up real nice. If it needs tightened up (it usually will) I use masa harina.

Chili is funny to me. There are a billion different versions and everybody seems to have their own opinions of what is best. My wife likes my chili that I described above, but doesn't think of it as chili. She prefers something more similar to the original recipe, but she does use beans. Personally I don't like beans nor tomato juice in my chile...it should be thick enough to eat with a fork. I live in Ohio and in the southern end of this state they eat some abomination that tastes like they ground up some red hots in it...and serve it on top of crap spaghetti with a pound of shredded cheese on it...

So many opinions and so many variations.

I fancy a chili that is more along the lines of a traditional texas style. I use a mixture of Beef chuck and pork shoulder. Brown it off, then carmelize onions and garlic in the same pot. I then hit that with a LOT of dried chiles and cumin. I use a mix of ancho, pasilla, chipotle, and chile de arbol. All will add some different flavors and heat to the mix. Then when that's all toasted up I deglaze it with a good dark beer, hit it with a jar of tomatoes and simmer for a few hours until the meat will shred up real nice. If it needs tightened up (it usually will) I use masa harina.

Chili is funny to me. There are a billion different versions and everybody seems to have their own opinions of what is best. My wife likes my chili that I described above, but doesn't think of it as chili. She prefers something more similar to the original recipe, but she does use beans. Personally I don't like beans nor tomato juice in my chile...it should be thick enough to eat with a fork. I live in Ohio and in the southern end of this state they eat some abomination that tastes like they ground up some red hots in it...and serve it on top of crap spaghetti with a pound of shredded cheese on it...

So many opinions and so many variations.

AMEN Brother !!!

But mine is best :boxing: :becky:

Thanks for bringing this back for the noobs. I am new to site and will be trying this soon!

Morning Guys, anybody know how much the original recipe makes. Cooking a chili cookoff this weekend and have to make min 5 gallons. Thanks

Morning Guys, anybody know how much the original recipe makes. Cooking a chili cookoff this weekend and have to make min 5 gallons. Thanks

This is my chili, and it makes quite a bit. I usually can fill two crockpots full and have a little left over that will not fit.

Also, if you have a smart phone, there is an app called paprika. It can take a recipie and change the amounts for you if you want a half or 1/4 of the origanal. It does cost a few $ but it is well worth it. I use it to keep all of my recipies in it like a digital card catalog.

Thanks for the help, going to do 2-1/2 times the recipe and that should be plenty. Got to check out that app too.

Well I finally made it. I like it a lot. Nice recipe that can serve as a base to work off of if you want to mix things up. Also, when I made it, it filled up a 6 qt. pot to the rim.

Back