Grilling on the WSM - Roadside Chicken Pron

SpammyQ

Take a breath!
Decided to try my hand at grilling on the old WSM tonight, and chose my first batch of Roadside Chicken to be the guniea pig.

I fired up a full chimney of briquettes, removed the water pan and when ready, the coals went into the ring at the bottom. I added another 1/2 chimney of unlit briquettes on top of the lit and a piece of mulberry for "flavor". I then placed the middle piece in the smoker and put the top rack on.

Once most of the coals were going, I threw the chicken on the top rack. Turned and basted every 5 minutes, with the cover on between turnings. Was able to keep a grate temp of between 350 and 400 degrees pretty easy.

After 30 minutes, the chicken registered 180 degrees in the thick part of the thigh. I removed it, let it rest for 10 minutes and served it up with some mashed potatoes and carrots. Man, that was the best chicken I think I ever ate.

:idea:lesson: You CAN grill on a WSM, pretty easily. What I really liked was the fact that the grate is so high above the coals, that when you get a flare up (and you do with that chicken!) it doesn't scorch the bird.

:idea:lesson: Sea salt and regular table salt are 2 different animals. I learned you can not substitute 1 for 1. I used Sea Salt today, and it isn't nearly as salty as the other stuff!

Great recipe, highly recommended if you haven't tried it.:mrgreen:

First picture shows at first turn, next is right before removing and last one shows it plated. Enjoy, I know I did!:!:

Jim

Attachments

• 100_1078.jpg
    100_1078.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_1080.jpg
    100_1080.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1081.jpg
    100_1081.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_1082.jpg