Knives

your knives don't have to be all that great if you cook your meat the right way! :wink: i'm only half way joking when i say this. get some decent knives and a decent two stage sharpener and you will see how much better they cut as your meat approaches perfect tenderness and your bark is moist and firm and not dried out like jerkey. i can't always get it this way but let me tell you, when you do get it, any knives cut pretty good.

I honestly wouldn't invest too much more than the price of Victorinox for competitions. I have many fine Japanese knives, but I'm not going to take them to a comp. I'd be devastated if it walked away. If I lose a Victorinox, it's no big deal.

Forget the "set" of knives, as you will most likely NEVER use MOST of them in competition. Go for three or four that will be your "go to" knives. They can be all from the same manufacture, or different, really doesn't make any difference to the meat or to MOST other competitors. Just get what works best for you.
Keeping them sharp is MUCH more important than the name on the side! A sharpe no-name brand will work better than a dull expensive knife.
A paring knife, mid-size utility knife, and brisket slicer are must haves, other than that it is whatever you want and like.
Just my $0.02.

I only carry three knives with me to a comp, I carry a 6-1/2" flexable global boning knife, 8" global chef's knife and a 10" victronix slicer. Never needed anything else.

Used to take mine to Ambrosi but it's downtown and a drive for me. Got this last year and love it. Careful. After using it on your blades you WILL cut yourself if you are not careful.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425324651&sr=8-1&keywords=ken+onion"]Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zHVsFiTSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41zHVsFiTSL[/ame]

5 Piece Wusthof BBQ set with knife bag: 3: paring knife, 6 inch boning, 8" chef, 9in Cimetar, 14" Brisket slicer. On sale now for $209. Add a pair of 6 inch Kitchen Shears for $20 and you're good to go for any BBQ comp.
29297_500.jpg

Anyone who knows me knows that I will spare no expense to get the best. That being said I have a lot of expensive knives at home.
My go to knives now are the $9 for 2 at Sams.:crazy: The handles fit my hand and they keep a good edge.
I have an expensive brisky slicer for comps but other than that give me my cheapies from Sams.

5 Piece Wusthof BBQ set with knife bag: 3: paring knife, 6 inch boning, 8" chef, 9in Cimetar, 14" Brisket slicer. On sale now for $209. Add a pair of 6 inch Kitchen Shears for $20 and you're good to go for any BBQ comp.
29297_500.jpg

Great deal! I bought a slicer alone in October, and that set is a bargain at that price!

EDIT: I edited my post, because it was brought to my attention that some of what I'd typed was directed at a contractor I was dealing with for my day job! MABA, and my experience with them didn't leave me feeling ripped off. The plumber I'm dealing with is another story.

Last edited:
I do most of my work with an 8 inch Messermeister and sharpen it with some wet stones. After seeing some of the brisket slicers I'll probably be getting one of those. I also have a cheap, flexible boning knife, but I don't like the way it handles and will be looking for a replacement.

jb

Just to throw an opposing thought out there into the mix since nobody else has mentioned it, you will hear a whole lot of electric knives during turn in's as well...

I am no knife expert nor am I any good at sharpening a knife, so I will keep the rest of my $.02 to myself here :-D.

J&B I use to use an electric, but it was not as nice of a cut as a good purpose build slicing knife. That chipped bark was always on the face of the slices or the ribs. My victronix slicer was relatively cheap and I did a bunch of practicing with it and am not looking back now.

Anyone who knows me knows that I will spare no expense to get the best. That being said I have a lot of expensive knives at home.
My go to knives now are the $9 for 2 at Sams.:crazy: The handles fit my hand and they keep a good edge.
I have an expensive brisky slicer for comps but other than that give me my cheapies from Sams.

This is the best comment. I use the Sam's club ones too, when they get dull, throw them away and get new ones... As INmitch said, they have a great handle that is non slip and you can get two Santoku knives or two sizes of chef's knives in a package.

I may be using the same set victorinox and for the set I think it was a great value!!

This Shun for trimming [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JPGZRW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1425660893&sr=1&keywords=shun"]Amazon.com: Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet, 6-Inch: Boning Knives: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21vdl7w0z-L.@@AMEPARAM@@21vdl7w0z-L[/ame]

Electric knife for brisket, and money muscle

Grand Brisket slicer listed above for ribs

Back