Which griddle? Blackstone VS Campchef Solutions

anthonyeco

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have done what seems like weeks of research on trying to determine which griddle I should get and I stuck looking at 3

Blackstone SS version ($461.75)
http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/pr.../36SS_com.html

Camp Chef FTG600 ($430 shipped with cover)
http://www.campchef.com/flat-top-grill.html

Camp Chef Somerset III ($298.50 + $116.99 for griddle = $415.49)
http://www.campchef.com/somerset-iii...ner-stove.html

I have tried fairly extensively to get good reviews on the camp chef products. I currently own a Smoke Vault and a explorer griddle. My smoke vault I honestly consider junk as it’s so poorly constructed. The explorer I’ve used a few times with little issue so I can’t really comment to it other than it works for camping. I am looking for a stainless solution as I own a Genesis S-330 and a Vision Kamado that I am putting into a stainless table to fill up this L section on my deck A poor man’s outdoor kitchen if you will. I went to Lowes and put my hands on one of the non SS Blackstone and it too feels poorly constructed and wobbles significantly. The FTG600 and Blackstone produce 15k BTU burners 60k total whereas the Somerset is 30k each for 90k total. I am just curious if that BTU difference will ultimately make a difference. I contacted Camp Chef customer service and while it was very timely response. It didnt help much I pretty much received a scripted response "it will work great" the CSR didn't seem to really know much or at min the strengths of their grills I have yet to contact Blackstone to see if they could provide insight on their SS model. I was just hoping someone comment their experiences on the Camp Chef variants and could comment on the structural quality and or comment on the BTU's. There is also the griddle portion that I am interested in as the two are made from cast vs steel I know that the camp chef has a round drain welded into their drain channel which I imagine is a huge improvement over the Blackstone drilled hole.

I have done what seems like weeks of research on trying to determine which griddle I should get and I stuck looking at 3

Blackstone SS version ($461.75)
http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/pr.../36SS_com.html

Camp Chef FTG600 ($430 shipped with cover)
http://www.campchef.com/flat-top-grill.html

Camp Chef Somerset III ($298.50 + $116.99 for griddle = $415.49)
http://www.campchef.com/somerset-iii...ner-stove.html

I have tried fairly extensively to get good reviews on the camp chef products. I currently own a Smoke Vault and a explorer griddle. My smoke vault I honestly consider junk as it’s so poorly constructed. The explorer I’ve used a few times with little issue so I can’t really comment to it other than it works for camping. I am looking for a stainless solution as I own a Genesis S-330 and a Vision Kamado that I am putting into a stainless table to fill up this L section on my deck A poor man’s outdoor kitchen if you will. I went to Lowes and put my hands on one of the non SS Blackstone and it too feels poorly constructed and wobbles significantly. The FTG600 and Blackstone produce 15k BTU burners 60k total whereas the Somerset is 30k each for 90k total. I am just curious if that BTU difference will ultimately make a difference. I contacted Camp Chef customer service and while it was very timely response. It didnt help much I pretty much received a scripted response "it will work great" the CSR didn't seem to really know much or at min the strengths of their grills I have yet to contact Blackstone to see if they could provide insight on their SS model. I was just hoping someone comment their experiences on the Camp Chef variants and could comment on the structural quality and or comment on the BTU's. There is also the griddle portion that I am interested in as the two are made from cast vs steel I know that the camp chef has a round drain welded into their drain channel which I imagine is a huge improvement over the Blackstone drilled hole.

Do what I did: I was about ready to buy a Blackstone when it dawned on me... you know what would go really well with a griddle? A Shirley Fab 24x65 Cabinet trailer model with insulated Firebox.....that's what! So I got a double burner on the trailer and ordered this griddle from Tejas Smokers to go on top (got the big'un): http://www.tejassmokers.com/hot_plates.htm . Going to be a hell of a "griddle". Sorry for being of absolutely no help.... :mod: FWIW, I've only heard good things about anyone who owns the 36 in Blackstone (the 24 in is a different story). I've only ever heard of good things also on Camp Chef products. Don't own either though.

I'd go with the Blackstone. I was also debating which one to get and ended up with Blackstone and have been very happy with it going on the third year now. The Camp Chef isn't any better constructed since I've seen one myself.

Here are my reasons for going with Blackstone:

The flattop is 3/16" heavy duty steel with reinforced bottom to prevent warping

Has the largest cooking surface than the other two (756 sq/in)

You can create multiple heat zones on the 36 with the 4 burners to cook different foods at different temps since you have plenty of space

The bottom unit is also collapsable for portability, camping, tailgate etc

As far as the BTU's, 90K BTU's are good if you going to be using the top for other than a griddle. The 52 or 60K BTU's on the blackstone have been more than sufficient for me. I haven't even cranked the dials more than half since the flattop gets crazy hot and you'll burn your food. Most of the time I quarter turn the dial at most and it's plenty of heat.

The side shelves and the flattop on the blackstone are removable (which the flattop is removable on all of them)

I just wish they offered they stainless when I bought mine.

Good luck!!

Great information exactly what I was looking for I think I'll be looking the ss blackstone for any deals.

I have a cam chef two burner with the steel griddle top for it. I love this thing when we go camping or to a cook off .. No regrets at all with it.

I have the Blackstone, I really enjoy cooking on it. It gets blazing hot very quickly. The only downside is the grease drainage system. If you have too much food on at once, the grease will pour down the side of the cart onto the floor, its a mess. I am looking into welding a slanted piece of steel to allow the grease to better flow into the small tray (too small).

I have the Blackstone, I really enjoy cooking on it. It gets blazing hot very quickly. The only downside is the grease drainage system. If you have too much food on at once, the grease will pour down the side of the cart onto the floor, its a mess. I am looking into welding a slanted piece of steel to allow the grease to better flow into the small tray (too small).

This is the most common complaint I see about the Blackstone units.

Does it pour out of the can? or do you feel the front drainage needs a slightly taller shield in front? I could pretty easily weld a larger catch can and weld say half in deflector to the front drainage system.

Does it pour out of the can? or do you feel the front drainage needs a slightly taller shield in front? I could pretty easily weld a larger catch can and weld say half in deflector to the front drainage system.

It pours into small metal square container through the drain hole. The container is removable and sits on a adjustable bracket. I for one have had no dripping or drainage issue on the Blackstone. I know a lot of people complain about it but it has worked for me with no issues. It's sufficient enough even when you have bacon on it. Never a drop of grease on the ground so far.

Here you go

20150221_103410.jpg

20150221_103417.jpg

20150221_103433.jpg

Think its nesc for something like this?

I know ive seen numerous pictures with what looks like grease stains down the front of their griddle. all of them have the same design so i would imagine they all suffer from it if it is indeed a proble.

the FTG600 has a cast iron top. The blackstone just says rolled steel any advice on the differences? I know cast iron can be a booger to maintain.

The complaints I've seen center around the grease wicking back against the leg of the grill rather than dripping into the catch container. The grease then runs down the leg making a mess.

I was looking at this one the other day at Lowes. Little cheaper than the Blackstone above. I haven't looked to see what's different with this modeal than what you listed above.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_363588-47721-1554_0__?productId=50055173&Ntt=blackstone&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dblackstone&facetInfo=

My wife saw that one at Lowe's a couple of days ago and called me about it since I mentioned getting one eventually to her. I think I'm holding out for the SS version (Model 1560 I think). If that one shows up at Lowe's (so I can save on shipping), I may join the Flat Top crowd.

Somehow, I'm just more optimistic that an SS will hold up better in the long term.

I've got the Blacstone and like it petty well. Well built for what it is. I shortned the legs and mounted it on my trailer pit. It cooks pretty well, but I had a tough time getting it seasoned. I'm suprised at the price now. I paid a little less than $200 for mine, but that was a number of ears ago.

I have the Camp Chef Somerset IV - four burners with 2 griddles. I have been using it for a couple of years now and am very pleased. I bought this set up thinking I would use a griddle on one side and a grill box on the other, but I use the two griddles 99% of the time. Their grease catching is adequate, but I use a small ball chain hanging from the grease outlet into the catching jar and it works pretty good.

My main concern when buying was the burners. Most of these grills use a stainless steel tube burner that in my opinion is not very good and will need replacing every few years. The Camp Chef Somerset uses larger banjo style burners that I have found to be very durable. If I could find burners made in cast brass I would be very happy.

I have the Camp Chef Somerset IV - four burners with 2 griddles. I have been using it for a couple of years now and am very pleased. I bought this set up thinking I would use a griddle on one side and a grill box on the other, but I use the two griddles 99% of the time. Their grease catching is adequate, but I use a small ball chain hanging from the grease outlet into the catching jar and it works pretty good.

My main concern when buying was the burners. Most of these grills use a stainless steel tube burner that in my opinion is not very good and will need replacing every few years. The Camp Chef Somerset uses larger banjo style burners that I have found to be very durable. If I could find burners made in cast brass I would be very happy.

Compared to the steel tops blackstone has. How do you feel about your cast iron ones on the somerset? If i go somerset III they have a full length griddle

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

The Camp Chef griddles are steel also. They are okay, you do have to season them much like cast iron. They will show rust sometimes but aren't difficult to reseason. I think I would like a Stainless Steel cooking surface and have looked at commercial units but what I have works really well for my purposes. I had a custom cover made by the same company that makes the covers for the Assassin smoker I have. I really like how it protects the grill.

The cast iron I mentioned was about the burners. I wouldn't trade those for the stainless ones I've normally see on most of these type units.

Hope this helps.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Compared to the steel tops blackstone has. How do you feel about your cast iron ones on the somerset? If i go somerset III they have a full length griddle

Back