Texas Mega-Bash - Sat Oct 17th @ Belton Lake

DaveAlvarado

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Saturday, October 17th 8am to Whenever
Overlook Pavilion
3110 FM 2271
Belton, TX 76513

We've talked about it, and with enough prep time I think we can pull it off.

For location, I'm thinking Belton Lake, near Temple, TX. That puts us a little more central in the state, off a major highway, and on neutral enough ground that Longhorns and Aggies can get along.

Timeframe, I'm thinking sometime between Labor Day weekend and Halloween. Mid October seems to work well for the weather and the ability to rent a pavilion. If we want to do Labor Day weekend, we need to decide quicker so we can get a pavilion booked (if they're not all booked already).

I'm really hoping this can be a big deal. We've had some great DFW area bashes and I know there are folks from further south in TX (and other places around the country) that would like to get in on the fun.

What do you all think? What's everybody's availability in October?

Last edited by a moderator:
Open any weekend except Halloween weekend. Oct. 17th seems Right.

And BoomShuckaLucka oughta be on a trailer by then.

Last edited:
Works for me! Does Belton have a group pavilion with water and electric?

Mid October sounds great. Might have to see what they have in the way of cabins or nearby hotels.

Subscribed! Let's do this! Though I will admit...October is always a bad month for us with TX/OU game, anniversary, Halloween, etc.

But, schedule it and I'll make it if I can swing it!

Works for me! Does Belton have a group pavilion with water and electric?

It has several to choose from. Including a group pavilion + camping area.

And several of the pavilions have a "BBQ", which appears to be a 250 gallon tank converted to some kind of cooker. I couldn't tell if it was an offset firebox or just a big grill, but we can make either work.

Mid October sounds great. Might have to see what they have in the way of cabins or nearby hotels.

That's why I picked a lake next to a town. Looks like there are tons of options in Temple and Killeen if you want a bed to sleep in, plus there's camping.

Sounds like Oct 17th is a good weekend?

I'm in. Sounds like fun.

I'd like to get a chance to meet some brethren in person. Light the fires and have a good time.

Sounds like a great plan! I'm in.

Belton...and nobody PM'd me???? I live a couple of blocks from the lake. Stay away from Killeen if you can. Do we have anything nailed down yet? I am looking at a place in Morgan's Point (Belton zip code) where I live. Trying to figure out the electrical situation. They hold a BBQ comp at the baseball field area every summer so they have to have something there. I know they have bathrooms.

This is close enough to probably get Blu to show up!!!

Overlook Pavilion- This pavilion is located adjacent to the Capital Regional Office (formerly the Belton Lake Project Office) and Frank's on the Lake / Deadfish Grill near the south side of the Belton Lake Dam. This pavilion seats up to 150 people (approx 23 tables and 1 w/ disabled access). This facility offers a barbecue pit, restrooms, water, electricity for small appliances, sand volleyball court, horseshoe pits, and a playground for the kids. This area closes at 10:00 PM. For questions or to make reservations you can visit Live Oak Ridge Park just on the other side (North)of the Belton Lake Dam or call 254/780-1738. Check-in time is 8 am and Check-out time is 10 pm.

$100/day but needs to be booked ahead of time because it is really busy.

Live Oak Ridge Park- This park offers 48 sites that range from wooded to open for RV/tent camping each with water and electric hook-ups plus a covered table and grill. . Live Oak Ridge Park's facilities include restrooms with hot showers, camper service center for group parties/meeting, washer/dryer units; a multilane boat ramps with courtesy loading dock, playground and trailer dump station. The spring time offers a large abundance of wild flowers that blanket areas of the park. Hiking trails are available adjacent to the park at Miller Springs Nature Area. Free Wireless internet is being offered to registered campers in Live Oak Ridge Park only. The coverage is limited to use at the camper activity building located adjacent to the gatehouse. You must provide your own Wi-Fi capable computer to use the service. See the gatehouse for the password and more information. Advanced Reservations can be made at this park in person or online at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. There is a Volunteer Camp Host that resides in the park year round to serve the campers.

Looks like a good spot.

xz8hHNM.jpg

Looks like a good spot.

It is the best spot that I know of. Kind of easy to get to and that pavilion is huge. Only problem is the camping area is about 1/2 mile away but on the same road. Will that work? Would you like some close-up pics?

Works great for me brother.
I will most likely be driving up in the mourning and driving home after the fun. Looks like a good central spot for the Texas boys to get together at.

Back