Pork butt help?

Okiebro

Found some matches.
Okay guys I need some help . I'm cooking 6 butts for a group of friends this coming weekend . We will be eating Saturday for lunch . The problem is I will have to cook the butts Wednesday night and they will finish on Thursday . My question is how to hold the meat until then . Do I need to pull them and put them in pans in fridge and reheat or leave whole ? Thx again for the help

If it were me I would do one of two things

1. Vacuum seal large portions of the cooked butts, refrigerate them, then reheat in large pots of boiling water until tender (should take about 30min to 1 HR)

2. Cook butts, wrap in foil and refrigerate, reheat whole butts in crock pots until tender (assuming you have enough large crock pots)

You could hold them in the oven set on warm or the lowest setting but that's a long time for your oven to be running in the summer in Oklahoma

I would pull them while still hot. It's just easier. Let them rest for a while then pull. You can vac seal and reheat in hot water or reheat in a crock pot, or whatever works best for you.

I agree with Ron.. Make it simple for yourself. Your PP will still taste fantastic and be moist with a proper reheat and any liquid you might mix in after or during the reheat.

Good luck and happy smoking. Just don't overthink it and stress yourself out. Enjoy the food and time with your friends this weekend.

^^^Yep^^^

I add a juice box worth of apple juice (for each butt) and a good dose of rub to mine when I reheat. I have done them whole, chunked, and pulled. I prefer them in large chunks to reheat, simply because leaving them whole leaves very little wiggle room for fridge storage in the meantime, and people seem to enjoy watching you do the final pull for serving.

I have done the boiling water trick, but my bags failed and opened up on me. Just bring the water to a good boil, throw the bag in, then shut the heat off. More than enough heat to get them piping hot in 30 min or so. They're just as fresh as off the cooker. I love butts for that reason.

Back