THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I have a rather old 20 lb propane tank with the POL left hand threads and I'd like to use it on one of my grills. The grills have the newer acme thread connectors (I think they call it QCC-1).

I can get an adapter for about $11, but that'd be a one time use. Once the tank is empty I'll exchange it for a new style. It's too old to be refilled.

The cylinder is almost full and it'd be a shame to just vent it to the air and exchange it now. Cost-wise I think it's a wash, as there's probably $11 worth of 10 yr old propane in it.

Decisions... decisions...

Why get rid of the old tank? Get the adapter and keep using the tank.

I have a couple of the old ones, and when I get them filled, the kid usually says that he can't fill them. I tell him that I have a weed burner which needs the higher propane flow tanks, and he then fills them.

If you really don't want to do that, have your propane distributor swap the valves. There isn't a point to getting rid of the tank, if it is in good condition, just for an old valve. If you take care of the tanks, keep them clean and rust free, they will last forever.

Check the inspection date on it. I believe they must be re-inspected after 12 years. If it passes a new date will be stamped on it, if not its scrap metal and can't be filled.

Yeah, but inspections on propane tanks are easy, especially if you've kept them clean and they have no rust showing.

They don't need to be hydro-statically tested, like gas cylinders.

Around here they just won't refill a tank that's older than 12 years. Period. I'm gonna get the adapter and eBay it when I'm done. Should be able to get 1/2 price anyway.

Google for the inspection requirement for propane tanks and take a copy with you. Any place that knows what they are doing will take care of you.

A lot of the gas stations and grocery stores that fill tanks only have kids doing the filling and it is easier to tell them "don't fill 'em if...." than to explain the actual rules.

If nothing else, take it to one of the tank exchange places. Leave your tank in the rack and go home with a 100% tank. The only problem, is you just "gave" your tank away, in exchange for a loaner.

If nothing else, take it to one of the tank exchange places. Leave your tank in the rack and go home with a 100% tank. The only problem, is you just "gave" your tank away, in exchange for a loaner.
If you "exchange" your tank for a loaner then you will have a newish tank that you CAN get refilled if that is cheaper than exchanging it :rolleyes:

I've used the "exchange" method with old tsnks that had old style valves or more than 12 years old.

If you "exchange" your tank for a loaner then you will have a newish tank that you CAN get refilled if that is cheaper than exchanging it :rolleyes:

I've used the "exchange" method with old tsnks that had old style valves or more than 12 years old.

Yeah, but it is no longer YOUR tank. Say it is a Blue Rhino tank. Try taking it to another swap firm and trading it! I know, my wife traded in one of mine and my daughter did another. The locals, where I always used to fill my tanks, won't touch them.

If you really don't want to use it for propane any more, use it for a portable air tank, or a float under a lake/pond deck. Cut the bottom off and use it to catch ashes in your BBQ grill or smoker.

They have too many other uses to toss them out, or sell them for scrap.

Yeah, but it is no longer YOUR tank. Say it is a Blue Rhino tank. Try taking it to another swap firm and trading it! I know, my wife traded in one of mine and my daughter did another. The locals, where I always used to fill my tanks, won't touch them.

It seems that all the exchange places around here have Rhino. Everybody from HD and Lowes to grocery stores does it.

I have had Rhino tanks refilled at my local gas supplier with no problems. Besides, if you peel off the label, how can they tell?

Back