Patio Smokers: Lang 48 vs Shirley 24x50

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I've long been considering a new smoker to add to the family which currently consists of a UDS and WSM. When my search originally started years ago I was considering a Meadow Creek TS60. But then I discovered Lang and I felt the value proposition of the Lang was superior to that of Meadow Creek so started looking for a Lang 60.

Fast forward a few years and my priorities have changed. I'm now moving away from a trailer model but instead want nice patio smoker because in reality my smoker is never going to be moving around and I never need to cook for more than 20 people.

So now I've started looking at the Lang 48 Deluxe and discovered a new (to me) player in the reverse flow game so I've also considered a Shirley 24x50 w/ warmer.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I'm open to other options as well.

Thanks
Sam

if u ever get the chance to see a lang in person, you will laugh at the build quality of it as soon as you see a Shirley in person....its not even close. I too was considering a lang until someone pointed me to the direction of Shirley, THANK GOD that happened. Far far far far far better built smoker for less money. Not to mention the Shirley is 100% custom

Shirley is a much better built smoker. Definitely get the Shirley over the Lang

But I hear that Paul Shirley is a 'Bama fan.

I just picked up a used Lang model 84 deluxe, and I really like it! That being said, I only have one cook under my belt with it and there are some things that I don't like about Lang. They don't bother to do a full weld on the flange around the doors. As mine is an older model, and wasn't well taken care of, the flange around the fire box was warped and coming away from the door. I think that you'll love ether one, just take good care of it.

Jbounds is right on the money. The build quality is 10x better on Shirley, easy. The Lang is nice, but it can't hold a candle to the Shirley.

But I hear that Paul Shirley is a 'Bama fan.

We look passed that because they make such a nice cooker. Doesn't hurt that they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

I believe the warmer on the Lang is a lot smaller. If you go with a Shirley you can get anything you can imagine. Watch some of the videos and you will be sold. Also, the racks in the main chamber will be bigger on the Shirley. Probably going to save a little $$ with the Shirley too unless you go crazy with the options. Nothing wrong with the Lang and lots of guys love theirs but imo the Shirley is just a little better.

I would go with Shirley and I have a big trailer model but I have been looking at future patio model too , they offer so many custom options and they let you get what you want even if they do not make it they will make it happen . I was going to buy a Lang at first but I am glad someone showed me the way . Lang Smokers are a great cooker and bad ass but Shirley Fabrication can get so much more for your money and the pride in every build they do .

I emailed the folks over at Shirley Friday and got an email Saturday and then tonight I got a phone call from Paul to discuss what I was looking for. That is customer service! But I would also take a look at at Peoria Custom Cookers. I have heard good things about them although not reverse flow I don't think.

I have a new Lang Hybrid and think it is a great smoker, after just three cookouts.

I looked at the Shirley models too. It also is a great smoker but at a much higher price point, than I could swing.

I looked at Jambos, Klose and other pits made here in Texas but for the money it was the Lang made in Georgia that worked for me. It will last me until I am 90 year old, but I'll be too old to open a package of chicken!

There is a thread going where someone is putting together a list of all pits made in the USA. You might want to check it out before your purchase. I had a heck of a time trying to find a reference on pits. However, it was only when I found this Brethren site did I get much of my info on pits. That is why I joined.... thanks All!

Other Lang owners have any in put?

I was in the same situation...Lang, Bubba, or Shirley. I now have a 30x80 Shirley and love it.

I had a Lang for my first SBRF cooker. I place a lot of the blame on inexperience but I never loved it. I have had my Shirley since April, and it is easily the best cooker I have owned, and I have owned a few:

Not listed in signature:

Lang 24X60
Deep South GC28
Humphrey's Battle Box
Yoder YS1500 & 480
GMG DB
WSM 22.5"

You will not be disappointed with a Shirley. Tyler and Paul don't mess around. Plus, each cooker is a truly custom build.

I looked at the Shirley models too. It also is a great smoker but at a much higher price point, than I could swing.

im sorry but this is false. for the exact same size and MORE features Shirley is much cheaper.

when i went to purchase last year(prices might be a bit diff now):
60 inch lang deluxe - $4k....more features are extra
60 inch SF with cabinet doors, a much bigger warmer box, 2nd damper, valve on grease drain, more thermos, probe inserts, removable tongue, custom metal art - i paid ~ $3300

I have the Shirley model you are speaking of, without the cabinet doors. They were not invented when i got mine.

I inspect welds for a living so i know welding, they are top notch...I never had a Lang but i don't see how you could top a Shirley.

It is a awesome cooking machine you will love it and as someone said it will last two or more lifetimes you will not be sorry.

let me know if i can answer any questions.

Troy

I won't try to sway you either way on which to buy. But at least do yourself a favor and look at a Shirley. Once you see one, the discussion will be over. You will become a member of the Shirley owners family. Sometimes seeing is believing. I have done a lot of looking and tinkering with offsets. For the money, Shirley is a real tough act to follow. On top of that, Paul is about as fine and honest of a man as you will ever meet.

You will never meet a nicer guy than Paul Shirley. That and the quality of cookers he builds makes it an easy decision.

Last edited:
im sorry but this is false. for the exact same size and MORE features Shirley is much cheaper.

when i went to purchase last year(prices might be a bit diff now):
60 inch lang deluxe - $4k....more features are extra
60 inch SF with cabinet doors, a much bigger warmer box, 2nd damper, valve on grease drain, more thermos, probe inserts, removable tongue, custom metal art - i paid ~ $3300

I didn't mean to post anything false guys.

I am retired and could only swing about $1800, plus freight. So that left me with Lang's smallest 36 patio model. I went upsized to a 36 Hybrid and added front wheels and stainless steel grates. I thought that was a great deal and was in tall cotton.

I didn't see the same exact set up char-griller/smoker at Shirley's site, unless I went with a trailer model. I must have missed a comparable.

I'll take my cheap grill and move onward. Ya'll have a great evening.

Back