Oak wood Question

HossIsBoss

Full Fledged Farker
So after searching for somewhere local to buy splits for my COS I found a guy about 30mins from here that sells hardwoods he sells a half full 55 gallon barrel of kiln dried oak for $20 and will cut to size, so my question is what do the Breathen think of oak. I have searched the interwebs and got mixed results some say it gives off little smoke flavor and some say it's to strong,also what meats go good with it.

I'm guessing it depends on the type of oak, how seasoned it is, how clean the burn, etc. but oak is a standard cooking wood and gives a great flavor. I've seen it used in NC, TX, and CA with great results. Aside from the flavor, it's a great fuel as well - the coals burn really nice.

So do you get a free barrel with every $20 purchase? :noidea:

As everyone else has said, Oak is a great all around smoking wood. I would use it for just about anything but fish (which is ok because I don't really eat much fish) Price sounds fair to good. I'd have to see how much wood you get in half a barrel... Around me, About the cheapest you can find Oak is about 125 for a face cord (4ft tall by 8ft long by the depth of the log - about 16-18in) Hopefully that gives you some kind of gauge on price...

So do you get a free barrel with every $20 purchase? :noidea:

As everyone else has said, Oak is a great all around smoking wood. I would use it for just about anything but fish (which is ok because I don't really eat much fish) Price sounds fair to good. I'd have to see how much wood you get in half a barrel... Around me, About the cheapest you can find Oak is about 125 for a face cord (4ft tall by 8ft long by the depth of the log - about 16-18in) Hopefully that gives you some kind of gauge on price...
Lol I already asked him that and no you don't. :tsk:

IMHO Oak is one of the very best general purpose smoking woods. It burns hot, coals well, and does not create too much ash. Good stuff!

So after searching for somewhere local to buy splits for my COS I found a guy about 30mins from here that sells hardwoods he sells a half full 55 gallon barrel of kiln dried oak for $20 and will cut to size, so my question is what do the Breathen think of oak. I have searched the interwebs and got mixed results some say it gives off little smoke flavor and some say it's to strong,also what meats go good with it.

What oak does to beef is a sin........in a very good way. All the legend joints down south use it.

The key is to find a good general purpose wood that's readily available in the local area. I just bought two face cords of wood the other day so they will be ready by next spring. I paid $50/face for oak and pecan. He also had hickory which I really like, but he wanted $65/face for it, so I let him keep it.

White Oak / Red Oak are awesome to use on most meats. I use them mainly on large hunks of meat like shoulder and packers. I don't think it's as strong as hickory even, it's my preference for most things. Although Ribs and Poultry I usually use pecan or some type of fruit wood. Hope this helped.

Due to the cellular make up of white oak, it will pop a lot and could stir ash up while burning. (The cell structure is why all whisky barrels are made of white oak). This is a minor concern, but one worth knowing. Post oak is also a good option according to many folks in Texas.

Oak is the best all around wood for smoking IMO. Followed by pecan and then hickory.

It's probably bit strong for poultry and fish but it's great on beef and pork.

Back