Wood in kettle, carne asada?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello brethren,

Since moving to SoCal I have been inspired to learn some basic Mexican & SW cuisine. I want to take my first swing at carne asada. I've read several recipes. Many say it sous be smokey, spicy and sweet, crisp char on outside and tender and juicy inside. Sounds amazing to me and like quite a balancing act. Any tips for that?

Anyway, to the smokey part. I watched a video on YouTube of a Mexican woman making carne asada. She cooked it on what looked like a Weber 22" using post oak splits for fuel. I've never seen that. Has anyone here ever tried that? I don't know if I'd want all wood, but it might add some complexity to add a couple mini splits to the hot coals till they star to burn clean then add the wood.

Your thoughts and advice?

Thanks in advance,
JD

I've done it, lid off, not sure there is a benefit over just lump. Lot of guys have santa maria attachments for their kettle. I think they run a wood fire.

Since you are now in SoCal, there should be no shortage of taco stands near you. I suggest you try several to get a feel of what their carne asada tacos are like. Gives you something to shoot for. Of course if you already are a connoisseur, never mind...

I have used a mix of charcoal and wood chunks or small splits and have also used all chunks or small splits in the kettle; I like the results, especially for steaks and chops. It gives more smoke flavor than charcoal by itself. I usually do a mixture just because I have leftover charcoal already in the kettle. I have used the kettle lid with all of these options since it helps with indirect cooking but you'll get dirty smoke and soot unless the wood it's mostly burnt down to embers since it will start smoldering when the air is restricted.

When I first got my big Santa Maria/Argentinian grill, I used a mixture of lump and splits but now I just use splits on it. I was using the charcoal to get a quick bed of coals and to help get the wood burning, but I've found I can get the same results just as quickly with just wood and I get to play with the fire more. There's definitely a different flavor with the wood. I don't have a lid for the big grill so I often grill over open flame before the wood is reduced to embers; I just raise the grates or use zones for lower temperature "indirect" cooking; the big grill had lots of room for zones unless I'm grilling a huge about of food. Six spatchcocked chickens don't take up all the grate space but don't leave much room for zones.

Last edited:
I have used a mix of charcoal and wood chunks or small splits and have also used all chunks or small splits in the kettle; I like the results, especially for steaks and chops. It gives more smoke flavor than charcoal by itself. I usually do a mixture just because I have leftover charcoal already in the kettle. I have used the kettle lid with all of these options since it helps with indirect cooking but you'll get dirty smoke and soot unless the wood it's mostly burnt down to embers since it will start smoldering when the air is restricted.

When I first got my big Santa Maria/Argentinian grill, I used a mixture of lump and splits but now I just use splits on it. I was using the charcoal to get a quick bed of coals and to help get the wood burning, but I've found I can get the same results just as quickly with just wood and I get to play with the fire more. There's definitely a different flavor with the wood. I don't have a lid for the big grill so I often grill over open flame before the wood is reduced to embers; I just raise the grates or use zones for lower temperature "indirect" cooking; the big grill had lots of room for zones unless I'm grilling a huge about of food. Six spatchcocked chickens don't take up all the grate space but don't leave much room for zones.
Thanks,
I just ordered a Santa Maria attachment for my Weber.
I'll report back.
Best regards
JD

I have done it too, but like JeffShoaf, I now have a santa maria Argentine grill.
The problem with burning wood in the kettle is the thin metal construction. Not sure how long it will hold up to that much heat.

Lump charcoal runs much hotter than straight wood, the weight of the splits might bend the grates easier

I do carne asada in my kettle grills exclusively, and am a former native SoCal resident. A few chunks of oak along with whatever charcoal you're using and you'll get plenty of wood flavor. Here's a link to one of many carne asada cooks I've posted here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232211

A few examples of some of the others I've done,along with a plated shot of carne asada on homemade tortillas:

Last edited:
I do carne asada in my kettle grills exclusively, and am a former native SoCal resident. A few chunks of oak along with whatever charcoal you're using and you'll get plenty of wood flavor. Here's a link to one of many carne asada cooks I've posted here:

A few examples of some of the others I've done,along with a plated shot of carne asada on homemade tortillas:

I grew up near the border and THIS ^^^ is how carne asada is done!

That looks fantastic!

Thank you very much Moose and friends,

Carne Asada: Moose, I absolutly love your carne asada recipe! I appreciate how simple it is. I've looked at no less than 20 differentiations recipes and they're all different. I've noticed some focus more on dry a dry rub while others a wet marinade.
I'm curious what the ratio of OJ to meat is? I'll be cooking 4 lbs of steak, how many oranges would you use?

Wood in kettle: I'm also interested in learning more about cooking w/ wood in my kettle. I ordered a Santa Maria style attachment for it. I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.
JD

Thank you very much Moose and friends,

Carne Asada: Moose, I absolutly love your carne asada recipe! I appreciate how simple it is. I've looked at no less than 20 differentiations recipes and they're all different. I've noticed some focus more on dry a dry rub while others a wet marinade.
I'm curious what the ratio of OJ to meat is? I'll be cooking 4 lbs of steak, how many oranges would you use?

Wood in kettle: I'm also interested in learning more about cooking w/ wood in my kettle. I ordered a Santa Maria style attachment for it. I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.
JD

JD, after the meat, onions, and cilantro go in the bag, I pour just enough orange juice so everything is wet. You don't want the meat swimming in OJ. Also, you can use a small bottle of OJ, instead of fresh oranges, unless you have a plentiful local supply.

The most important foundation in great carne asada is the quality of the meat - I only use well marbled skirt or flap, not cut too thin, and cooked to medium rare/no higher than medium.

While I duplicate the marinade that many local SoCal markets use, if you have really good meat, even using just sea salt & pepper on the meat is great too.

Thanks so much Moose & friends,
Made it. Was delicious. Charcoal w/ two baseball size chunks of white / post oak.
So good I’ve had a breakfast & a lunch taco.
Best regards,
JD

Where the hell was I when this was posted??????

We have a favorite Mexican restaurant we go to when we go back to OR. Have not been able to duplicate theirs and she won't give me the recipe.

Have not heard of this one but will be giving it a go.

Carne Asada is how I judge a Mexican restaurant.

Thanks Moose.

Back