How to season and care for Akorn Grill?

The_Real_McCoy

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Those of you with Akorns, what did you do the first time you used it to season it, also what kind of maintenance do you guys do, I'd assume scraping the grates and oiling after every use, but is there anything else?

Only the cast iron grate needs to be seasoned. I did mine in the oven. You can do it on the grill. Other than that there I really nothing else to do. Maintenance is like you said, pretty basic stuff. You will like hoe to clean the ash out, easier than a OTG.

I seasoned my grate right on the grill. Cranked it up to around 450°. Rubbed the grate with a thick coating of Crisco and put it on the grill for about an hour. Worked great. After that just general maintenance.

Coat the grate with veg. oil and put it on the grill for 400 degrees for an hour. I hardly do any maintenance. I don't clean the grates after every use unless I smoked something and had a hunk of stuff on it from the last cook. Usually pre-heating the grill for a high temp cook such as steaks or burgers will burn most of it off anyways.

Back