Where to start with Trailer

rorkin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So to start with I am limited to a 4400 Lb GVW due to my car

That is towing capacity not car and trailer GVW..

I have a 700# yoder 1500 and want to cook on a lowered ramp as moving the
cooker is a chore.. Also would like to have enough awning on side for comp.

I am trying to get away from the tent but thought it might be possible to
install some kind of removable sun/rain shade over the lowered ramp that would be securely fastened to some kind of post arrangement and have the side awning as well.. I figure a dual axle so as not to have any tipping issues with the weight on the ramp.. Could add some stabilizer jacksunder the ramp as well..
Anyone used this approach ? THoughts ?

Last edited:
If your max gvw is 4400# it is going to be difficult to find a tandem axel trailer that will be safe for your car to pull.Most tandem axel trailers also require an electric brake system for stopping. You may want to look for a "bigger" tow vehicle. If you max out 4400# you will probably have problems stopping the trailer.

What is the tow vehicle?

If your max gvw is 4400# it is going to be difficult to find a tandem axel trailer that will be safe for your car to pull.Most tandem axel trailers also require an electric brake system for stopping. You may want to look for a "bigger" tow vehicle. If you max out 4400# you will probably have problems stopping the trailer.

What is the tow vehicle?

audi q5.. It can be equipped with an electronic brake controller.
That weight requires a electric brake (or surge) to be road legal

There is no inherent reason a tandem axle trailer would be unsafe if properly
connected to a brake controller.
I towed boats with tandem axles with only a surge brake.
The tandems would add weight to the setup however.

For example a 7 x 16 trailer with dual 3500 # axles would weigh 2200# or so and give a 2,000# payload

Aluminum trailer though more expensive would give more payload

Man, Im sorry but you are absolutely not pulling a 7x16 with that.

Maybe something more like a 5x8 and creatively loaded.

Why.. If v nose to break the air, and within the capacity of tow vehicle and properly equipped with electric brakes ??

Whats the issue ???

V Nose does not make the difference that some claim, the frontal area is still there. Its really not the weight part, its the wind drag. Side winds, ect. I looked up the Q5. max tongue weight of 440lbs. a Properly loaded trailer has about 13% tongue weight. That puts you closer to 3400lbs max trailer weight not even considering frontal area.

Pulling a boat is a totally different thing. Very light tongue weights, aerodynamic

Really in half ton truck territory with a 7x16.

Why.. If v nose to break the air, and within the capacity of tow vehicle and properly equipped with electric brakes ??

Whats the issue ???

You can probably get by around town but it won't be fun if you travel much.

I can see the issue with the freeboard of the trailer.. Never thought to do the calc on the tongue weight vs total weight but if I am not mistaken, tongue weight would be determined
by where I put the smoker front to back.. It is true you dont want the trailer pushing the tow vehicle around and that too low a tongue weight will lead to sway..
I am sure that I could get the tongue weight right but the crosswind thing given the lengths of the 2 vehicles could be an issue.. I am not going to get a truck but perhaps Highlander,explorer class will do.. THey might have longer wheel base but only tow 5,000. Will take a closer look at some setups at next comp.. I am judging on the 4th. Yippee !!! THe long winter is over.. Thanks for the input :)

Owning a pickup instead of a car would be a great place to start.

I would upgrade the vehicle before the trailer. It's not going to be an enjoyable pull and will be a ton of wear and tear and the vehicle.

About this time 2 years ago, we were all set to buy a new trailer and in sort of a similar situation. We had a light duty truck and a minivan, but neither had the towing capacity we would need. Thought about getting a heavier duty truck as well, but bbq season was quickly approaching and I was kind of driving myself crazy with all the options to think about (GVWR, tongue weight, tandem axles, electric brakes, and lots of other stuff I didn't know Jack about) not to mention options for the trailer build out itself.

My wife finally suggested finding more of an all-in-one solution, we quickly found this on Cragislist and have never looked back!

Attachments

• WP_20151014_005.jpg
    WP_20151014_005.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 233
  • WP_20151014_007.jpg
    WP_20151014_007.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 230
We had a 6x12 v-nose that we pulled with a Nissan Pathfinder. the GVMR on that trailer was 3200 pounds. Anything bigger is just going to be too much.

I have often heard that it is best to be under your max capacity, and not just by 50lbs so that you can say you are under. Driving conditions come into play and not often talked about. Wet roads and you will really wish you were under, or had a heavier tow vehicle.

I have a 7x14' all aluminum trailer that I picked up last spring. Total weight of the trailer is 1800 on 2 3500lb axles. Only had a Honda Pilot when I got it, towing it home I quickly realized that the Pilot could pull it, but once loaded down and in any sort of wind it would be a real struggle to stay at highway speeds. Its a V nose, but if you want a trailer you can stand up in it will be at least a +6" height which really doesn't help. I traded it in for a half ton pickup and haven't regretted it at all.

With the Q5 you are probably going to be limited to a small trailer that will haul your stuff, but you won't be able to work out of or sleep in.

Unfortunately unless it becomes a dedicated vehicle the pick up is not going to be an option

I have been using an aluminum utility trailer and setting up,tent and cooking with smoker on the trailer. Guess I am stuck with that for the moment.

You can never have too much truck (or in this case, tow vehicle).

Why can't a truck be your dedicated vehicle? They have some decked out ones as luxurious as anything on the market. Get a 3/4 ton with a crew cab and you'll have more room than you know what to do with. It's a lifestyle!

Back