How and when do you use fish sauce?

big_weight

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Reading a thread where someone suggested using fish sauce on a clod.
Am not familiar with using fish sauce (presumably as a umami source), thus my question.

On pork ribs? On brisket? Pork butts?

We use it a lot, but not a lot of it. The umami is the thing, but you don't want to overwhelm a dish unless it's a specifically ethnic style dish. A few splashes go a long way, in lots of things where you'd never think of using it. Same thing with anchovies. It's easy to just add a bit, have it enhance things, but not stand out. (Lamb dishes come to mind). Stews and pot roasts too.

I add a small amount to ground beef for burgers.Just a few small splashes.

I can speak for the anchovies on lamb bit - ah-mazing stuff.

I've copied Bucc's Thai-Inspired Ribs recipe, and added some fish sauce to soy sauce, Thai chilies, and lime juice for a really nice marinade.

Fish sauce and lime juice are often used to balance each other out in SE Asian fare. Add in some soy and maybe some rice vinegar, and you've got a pretty flavorful sauce/marinade going on.

Hope that'll give you something to think about / mess with / try.

Chicken / Pork / Beef / Turkey are all good recipients of fish sauce (and something else to balance it).

Have fun!

I use it for the pop of umami as others have mentioned, but then someone told me about pok pok wings...

Lot's of recipes on line, you can find one you like. I marinate mine in fish sauce with lots of garlic and a bit of mirin, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, and gojuchang. While I smoke the wings I boil down and thicken the marinade and fry up some garlic bits. Glaze the wings with the thickened marinade for the last couple minutes then toss them with the fried garlic bits.

I dream about them for days after I make them. My mouth's watering typing this.

Use it wherever you'd use salt, but as others have mentioned, use it sparingly. Oh, and not all fish souce is created equal, but the good stuff...I use Red Boat.

nước mắm , when i first saw it made back in the late 60's i vowed never to taste it again.
barrels of rotting fish and salt sitting in the south east asia sun with a weight on the cover squishing the juice out.
and the smell,,,,,,,,,,,,,..........

but to each his own :)

Thanks all for the responses.

BillATL, those pok pok wings you describe sound great. Will have to try some.

I use it very often, it just gives things that extra oomph.

My favourite food is SE asian, so I wouldn't know what to do without fish sauce, soy, garlic, lemon or lime and chili's

I use it very often, it just gives things that extra oomph.

My favourite food is SE asian, so I wouldn't know what to do without fish sauce, soy, garlic, lemon or lime and chili's

Same here....wife is from Laos....rarely use soy sauce for meat marinades, but the rest of your list with some lemongrass, palm sugar (or honey) and maybe some oyster sauce as well. Kind of my cupboard when it comes to meat marinades. The Thai and Laotions really love their grilled meat! And they make some potent and interesting dipping sauces for the meat (beef specifically) after its grilled and sliced.

Have you tried fish sauce in a bloody mary? If not, you really should.

This is the one I use:

I don't/haven't used fish sauce on my BBQ, however I do wet my meat with Worcestershire sauce to apply a rub. So I guess I do use a fish sauce, just not an Asian one.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Yep, as others have said, a little goes a long way and it is very salty. So be conscious of any other salty additions.

Fish sauce, and its enjoyment, is as varied as the sands of the beach. There literally is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with this flavoring gem. For me, and unlike most, I use it all the time on most things.

These are the brands that I use...

B2FDC5D9-92CD-4FAF-A4C9-2803571F4E32.jpg

2C375C75-DD1C-4802-80B5-450976027211.jpg

Try it with an open mind - as you would any type of new cheese that you hear folks don't like. You many be surprised!

I do a LOT of Asian cooking.
The character of Thai versus Vietnamese fish sauces differ.
For BBQ, I far prefer Thai fish sauces, it has the backbone to stand up to smoke, I use Vietnamese a lot with salads and seafood.
Also, there is a huge difference on results depending on WHEN you use it. Early, or adding at the end.
If adding at the end, imagine it to be salt. Add in small increments for a potent result. Can't take it back so go easy, but it pays off.
It's a lot of fun serving BBQ brothers and watching them light up going"Wow, what IS that? "
:laugh:

This has turned into a really enjoyable thread with some great ideas.

Please keep it rolling... I've been copy/pasting from a bunch of you pharkers... especially BillATL's Pok Pok Wings!

Agree with Shadow Driver.

Buccaneer, you gave us a great teaser with your comment - It's a lot of fun serving BBQ brothers and watching them light up going"Wow, what IS that? " Can you elaborate how and when you use it, or do you just smile and keep quiet???? :>)

Agree with Shadow Driver.

Buccaneer, you gave us a great teaser with your comment - It's a lot of fun serving BBQ brothers and watching them light up going"Wow, what IS that? " Can you elaborate how and when you use it, or do you just smile and keep quiet???? :>)

Long answer required I guess, sorry.
My generation and this culture, 'sweetness' isn't a strongly desired profile.
Scientifically, it isn't really a profile, sweetness is a flavor mask and along with fats, strips a multi faceted flavor profile of it's complexity.
So,I do a lot of savory style of barbecueing.
Take some people who are into American Style of barbecue here, well used to sweet commercial sauces and rubs, push a plate of savory pork or ribs with a complex layered taste with lots of notes going off and you get some really surprised diners!
Oh, I still do ribs with a sweet and spicy glaze and so on, it just isn't my usual.

With the talk of pok pok wings, I had to chime in that they come from a local
restaurant in Portland, OR called Pok Pok and they are amazing. So if everything else at Pok Pok. Andy Richter is the genius behind the restaurant and its offspring. If you find yourself in Portland, head to SE 33rd and Division and thank me later.

Back