Those of you with giant mega trailer smokers...

You guys make some good points about comparing the cost to other hobbies.

My boss is out right now riding around on his $10k bicycle. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

BM

Comes down to whether you want to ride a hog or cook one.

I've noticed in this forum there are a pretty good number of you with big trailer smokers.

How many of you run a business, cater events and/or compete professionally, etc..., to warrant such a big smoker? or do you guys just love BBQ that much that you convinced your family you needed a $10k rig to cook a pork butt and some ribs for Sunday dinner?

BM

What warrants having big smokers for me is the $$$$$$.
IMG_0204_zpsh3zsvq47.jpg

This is the "hog dumpster." Its huge, eats a lot of wood, 1/3 cord per ton of meat its not every fun to haul around or cook on for that matter. It gets used maybe 3 times a year when I am absolutely so busy that i have to fire it up.

Not sure I'm a COMPLETE moron, maybe just a little?

$10,000 for a smoker? if your spending that much on a smoker you're a complete moron...especially with the other high quality pits out there for way less than half of that....i bought mine for about $3500...do i use the capacity? no...not yet..but i will...one day....and its nice to have for my wifes immediate family ofr 25 people...so yea...its a great buy and wasnt really that much money..not to mention the trailer isnt THAT much wider than the wagon wheel cart

I too have had several smokers and each time I went looking I upgraded. This time around a trailer unit was what made sense, so I ordered and customized. It may be the last I ever buy, but then again I may feel the need to downsize someday. What I am confident about is that I'll never wear this one out and it I won't ever be a better cook than it can handle.

Every man has his vices and limits. If the desire and means are there, I would never judge or question a man's choice in where to spend his money.

Mine is definitely not a mega trailer, but it fits my needs. The trailer was given to me, so I converted it to mount my pits on for competition use. I designed it to be able to remove everything so I can still use the trailer if needed. The pits are removed and placed on my patio when the trailer is not in use. It's the best of both worlds for me.

Back