Does Pecan Smoke Complement Chicken?

Thanks all, I did not get a chance to fire up the smoker this weekend due to an allergic reaction to shell fish. Spent 5 hrs in the ER Saturday night. Man I don't wish that on anyone. Feelin a lot better today but not up to grilling. I will give the pecan chips a go next weekend.

Just happy you got through it, Plumb. Food allergies are no fun.

Let us know when you're healthy and back at it.

I personally think that every family pack of chicken should come with a chunk of pecan wood.

Sorry about the shellfish, hope you are feeling well.

Pecan is good, a lot like hickory, but a bit milder. But the best ever is cherry. Gives a gorgeous color, and the TASTE!! Amazing!

Hello Brethern,

Looking for advise on using Peacan and what meats go well with it. I picked up a bag of chips at Cabelas and want to try it out this weekend (Western). I am thinking chicken would be a safe and cheap first time use experiment. Sad to say I have never used pecan before. I have read a lot of post here that many many folks swear by it so I am going to try it out. All tips and recommendation are appreciated.

Pecan works with everything add a little cherry here a there.

Will be curious what the O/P thinks of pecan... Personally, I can't stand pecan - same way some don't care for mesquite (which I really like). All subjective I suppose.

Carry on - nothing to see here. :wink:

I just cooked a turkey on a Weber kettle with a mix of cherry and pecan. It came out really well.

Oh yeah... .forgot to add. Every stick of pecan I've stacked in the woodpile was a haven for wood boring ants - piles of sawdust everywhere.

Again, just my personal experience and taste.

Just adds to the taste...

Oh yeah... .forgot to add. Every stick of pecan I've stacked in the woodpile was a haven for wood boring ants - piles of sawdust everywhere.

Again, just my personal experience and taste.

Every old school BBQ place you've ever hear of has bugs in the wood. Adds to the authenticity.

....mmmm...bug smoke

Back