Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

I'm gonna be guilty of bumping this thread. Here is mine as is right now. As we speak, I am painting it to try and match the lid. I'm going to add a second rack as well. In the mean time, I have a pork butt in the...electric smoker. First one I've ever tried in it. I hope it works out.

Attachments

• UDS.jpg
    UDS.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 805
I'm gonna be guilty of bumping this thread. Here is mine as is right now. As we speak, I am painting it to try and match the lid. I'm going to add a second rack as well. In the mean time, I have a pork butt in the...electric smoker. First one I've ever tried in it. I hope it works out.

Looks nice. As far a dual racks put bolts in for bottom rack and use all thread legs to support upper rack on lower rack. I cannot remember who on this forum showed me that but it is the best way to do it.

Here is my Terp UDS after being freshly painted

TerpBarrel_zps34803ff5.jpg

Well after some time I finally got her together. I also want to say THANK You for those who have contributed info on designing the UDS. If it was not for you guys and gals I think I could not have come up with some of these ideas. So agian THANK YOU!:thumb:

New%20Image2_zpsvnabsauo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New%20Image1_zpsweqt0l9i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New%20Image_zpso6tfpdxm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New%20Image3_zpswdoyt909.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2nd UDS and wanted a smaller one for camping. Got a new unlined drum, drilled all my holes, used a torch, and then wire brushed it with a grinder. Went with 4 3\4" holes and one ball valve. Splurged and bought weber handles and 3 exhaust vents kit for a WSM. Used lamp rod for a thermo port. Weber charcoal grate and expanded metal for the basket with pizza tray ash catcher. And adjustable shelving racks. Semi gloss high heat paint and high heat clear coat. Need to season it then I'll be ready for action.
20150217_064754_zpsmtg5ywnn.jpg

20150225_133714_zpsufgihvjq.jpg

20150225_133802_zpss2abi3pu.jpg

20150225_133940_zps3wfavj13.jpg

Last edited:
What size is your drum? That is a good idea for when you go camping.

There are some real nice builds on here :thumb:

Where do you guy's get the decal's from ?

and what are they made of to hold up to the heat ?

Thanks Gary

This is my first build. I unfortunately built it during one of the coldest February's in history so I have not been able to pretty 'er up yet. I am going to paint it this spring with engine paint (flat black), my question is how much paint does a drum typically take?

Attachments

• 20150207_094301.jpg
    20150207_094301.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 839
OOH OOOH OOOOH scored a free 55 gallon drum today!

and so it begins.........

Nathan
I would get 2 -3 cans of Hi Heat Primer, and probably the same amount of Hi Heat paint.
That should get it coated pretty well.

I recomend getting a cover, and keep it up off the ground to keep it looking good longer.

Bob

I'm getting smoker fever again. Need some warmer weather to start with the 2 drums i have waiting.

Man I need to find another drum, I love my med BGE but I need more space. All of these pics are causing me to get the build itch again.

Built this for my Dad a couple months back because he gave me his WSM and was down to an electric Brinkman. I wanted to give him more capacity and this was way better than just giving him back the WSM. Now we have one more smoker in the family! The insulation is unnecessary and his add on but it does sip fuel. I also gave him some rebar to go PBC style if he wants. I wish I had a pic of the firebasket, its a stainless beast.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 713
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 710
Back