THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BruceB

is one Smokin' Farker
It's BACON DAY......finally!

I set up the WSM with two charcoal baskets and filled the center trough with Chef Select briquettes. I left an empty spot at the end for about 8-10 lit coals. Using apple wood and 1 cherry chunk (mostly for color)

Put the belly on at 10am, WSM hanging right at 174℉. Going to take it to an internal temp of 147℉.

More updates and pics as they become available or as the news warrants.

Nice fire basket you made for your WSM. I may have to give bacon a try one of these days using the hanging rack.

Finally finished, after 6 hours. WSM held at 170-185 all day. Finish temp 147℉, now into an ice bath for an hour or so then wrap and into the fridge overnight.

That looks GREAT.I put 8 slabs into the cure fridge today.Got 2 more whole fresh bellies to make pancetta and porchetta out of and 4 jowls to do something with.

Looks great. Why a ice bath?

I placed it in a large ziplock bag then into some cold water with ice. Just to get it cooled down right away. I wanted to get a slice or two for quality control (LOL) and its easier to slice when its cooled down.

Back