THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ronnyballgame

Got Wood.
Doing a smoke for my fraternity Alumni Weekend/Spring Football tailgate this weekend. I am expecting 100-125 people. I thought I would do some ribs and pork butts..probably will 86 the ribs, but it is a nice idea...

How much should I smoke for these drunk college students and alumni...

Thanks in advance...

ronnyballgame

Do a search for catering, etc. and you will get some good ideas. There are a few out there with nice spreadsheets that help you estimate the amount you need.

For buts, assume that you are going to get about 40-45% shrinkage in the meat during the cook and with the discarding of the bone and chunks of fat. That will be a fairly safe estimate for the resulting meat for serving. Then assume 1/4 to 1/3 a pound per serving depending on sammies or plates.

For ribs, you are usually OK to get 4 servings out of a rack of trimmed spares or 3 per rack of baby backs.

This is usually safe for vending, main meal stuff. If you are
doing a party where people are going to be grazing rather than sitting down to eat then you can probably go lighter.

Back