Turkey brine

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Going to spatchcock and smoke a turkey again this year. Anyone have good brine recipe or store bought brine they are fond of.

Going to spatchcock and smoke a turkey again this year. Anyone have good brine recipe or store bought brine they are fond of.

Haven't done a full turkey yet, but it seems like a lot of folks like to dry brine with some kosher salt which is how I'm gonna do mine this year.

Basic wet brine ratio is 1 cup of Kosher Salt dissolved in one gallon of water, then soak your bird one hour per pound (16 lb. bird brined for 16 hours). You can add sugar or other sweetener, but total sugar should be 1/2 your total salt. (e.g. 1 cup salt with 1/2 cup sugar)

This doesn't work so well on pre-brined Turkey's like Butterball.

Don't forget Oakridge Game Changer. We've had good success with it...

Have never, ever, ever...been disappointed with Oakridge Game Changer (as an injection or brine). I've used it for half chickens, turkeys, wings, pork ribs, even as a base for Canadian Bacon.

Final product has never been less than great. I'm sold.

When I spatchcock I always dry brine, then leave uncovered in the fridge for 2-3 days. That'll pull the moisture from the skin and give you a nice crispy result.

I like Harvest Brine. Great labor
+++ on Patio Dadio Ultimate Turkey Brine and another really good one is by Smokin Okie- he is a great read

Back