THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.
I hardly ever see WSMs on CL and when they do come up, they don't last long (unless they're priced at parity with new ones. :rolleyes: ) Probably the same is true of the ceramic cookers though I have no direct experience with those. That's lkely to be the sweet spot for resale value.

Cheaper smokers (Char Broil, Char Griller) ECBs probably not so much. I see some that are regular residents on CL.

Once you get into the quality offsets and bigger smokers you have a smaller market. That makes it harder to get a good price though if you find a buyer who really wants what you have, they could get a decent return. Then again, maybe buyers in that market prefer to buy new and get exactly what they want. Again, I have no direct experience and I'm just speculating.

A UDS would be a special case. If you figure resale based on cost of materials, you could do well. If you factor in time and effort, you'll probably take a beating.

hard to say i have seen a lot of junk for a high price and some sweet stuff go low.
I wouldn't use a smoker as a investment.
Guns and ammo are another story.

Boy...I wasn't able to find a Backwoods smoker used for cheap. ..I see folks asking a bit lower than they are new, plus prices just went up..no complaining from me. I'm getting a new one Saturday though:)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

If it can rust it will depreciate. I've never seen a BGE for sale but would have to give it the highest resale value.

Bought my 12-year old 18.5 WSM off CL for $100 and had to buy a new cooking grate. Bought my NIB 22.5 WSM off CL for $200 and sold the 18.5 on CL for $100 which means I'm out the cost of the grate after two years of steady use but I'm into the 22 at a net hundred plus the IQUE 110 I bought for it. Bought my NB Silver Smoker at a church garage sale for $25 and did all the mods to make it cook better. Sold it 5 years later at the same garage sale for $25 'cause nobody bought it off CL at $100. Bought $1000 Old Country Brazos from Academy to replace the COS. My ROI in the smoker area has not been good.

Last edited:
Not sure why you care about resale value.

Buying a smoker and planning on selling it is a bad idea.

Buy the smoker you want to cook on and keep it till it dies or you die first.

Back