Workhorse Pits top shelf and size question

Hlzr

Name or Nickame
Fritz
Been a long time lurker here and have read all the threads on these smokers I could find. I'm on the fence between the 1975 and the 1969, my basic hold up is wether to get the 75 with a shelf or the 69 without, the 69 doesn't look like it has enough usable head space to use for much of anything where as the 75 appears to have more usable room, those with a shelf what have you been able to use it for and anyone have regrets with getting a 69 in regard to overall size compared to the 75. I have a meadow creek box smoker that I can run sides and such on if need be so I have some flexibility. Thanks in advance.

I am getting a Workhorse pit in the future and there is not a big price difference and I decided on the 75 . If you do not any response the guys with videos on you tube are very helpful answering questions too .

I would go for the 1975 in a heartbeat over the 69 for the $550 or so difference with the shelf.

Even if you add the shelf to the 69 for ribs or chicken, it is sitting in a very hot area vs. the main grate shelf due to the collector being at main grate level. That upper grate will be HOT.

Pay the difference in price.....you won't regret it. You will probably need the space from time to time.

That being said, since you have lurked, I know you know about Big Phil's Blue Collar smokers. Check them out if you haven't.

I am getting a Workhorse pit in the future and there is not a big price difference and I decided on the 75 . If you do not any response the guys with videos on you tube are very helpful answering questions too .

I been a repeat offender on some of those youtube videos, some would consider it "stalking" lol

Are you planning on getting a top shelf on the 1975?

I been a repeat offender on some of those youtube videos, some would consider it "stalking" lol

Are you planning on getting a top shelf on the 1975?

yes i am getting the top shelf and I guess I am a stalker too and watched some of the videos multiple times , lol .

I've had my 1975 with the top shelf for 6 months. Used the top shelf once and it's not been in the smoker since then. For my purposes, the bottom grate on the 1975 is more than enough real estate but I never cook for more than 12. I'm sure the 69 would be more than big enough for me as well. I just couldn't stand the thought of spending that much money for my "dream smoker" and then regretting not getting the 75. No matter what you decide, Workhorse is a great pit and well worth the cost.

My opinion? Buy the big one and don't look back.

For the slightest price difference, get the 75 and second shelf. That’s what I ordered. Even if I never use it, it’s there if I do. I’d never have thought I would have maxed out my Assassin 48 with second shelf. Maxed it out twice so far…Just my 2 cents, now I’m broke again.

I don’t have a workhorse - have a Blue Collar Smoker by Big Phil - and I got the top shelf.

Getting some half inch tubing that I can put on the brackets (after taking out the top shelf) to hang and smoke sausage - if that is something you might be interested in cooking with your new smoker

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdOXx7LJg1Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This was how I got the idea

Good luck with your new pit

I don’t have a workhorse - have a Blue Collar Smoker by Big Phil - and I got the top shelf.

Getting some half inch tubing that I can put on the brackets (after taking out the top shelf) to hang and smoke sausage - if that is something you might be interested in cooking with your new smoker

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdOXx7LJg1Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This was how I got the idea

Good luck with your new pit

3rd picture in the link

Back