THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bilgee2

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I am wanting a SF badly and want to be able to do whole hogs as well. What size and what configuration/accessories would be best to do around 100lb whole hogs? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Definitely thinking a trailer model would be best just for mobility. Thanks!

First, I would love to have a Shirley, but don't :icon_sad
But, my self built RF is 24" diameter and about 72" total length. The governing dimensions for me are the door/main grate dimensions that are 24" X 54" and the max whole hog I can/have cooked is a135#'r racer style. If you prefer to cook Carolina style (a butterfly'd hog) the same size will take a 30" diameter. If you can figure out how to fit it in the budget, I would try to get a 30" X 72".

Matt - I know you tried to do the hog on your 24x55 and ended up using a 24x60 - would it have worked in yours - but too close to where heat comes out so would burn or would it not fit?

Thanks,

Mark

@Shagdog, @Ayvatr

How did they turn out racer style? Do you do them belly down or belly up on the grate? Seems like belly up would hold juices better but I am sure it creates other issues. Thanks!

Back