What the best piece of advice you've received for BBQ?

I never learned how to grill/ barbeque from any one individual. I bought a Weber and started experimenting. A good friend of mine (bigblock) introduced me to this website called bbqbrethren. It was amazing the amount of information and positive feedback that was (is still) available. As it stands, I am the grand poobah of the family for advice and how too's. My best advice to them Is always.
Don't complicate it. It's just an oven!

• Thanks
Reactions: mbt
Back when I had my first smoker, a stickburner, I was chasing the perfect temp and becoming frustrated and unsuccessful. A brethren here told me, "control the temps by controlling the size of the fire". Simple, but my overthinking it all prevented me from seeing the obvious. Thanks, Smitty!

Definitely have patience and don't rush things. BBQ isn't just about cooking dinner. To me its about the experience of getting to the finished meal. When you learn to enjoy the process the product will automatically become better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1. Backyard cooking for friends does not require injecting. That’s for judges.
2. Relax...enjoy the peace and quiet. You can hear birds chirp through thin blue smoke.
3. Friends and family are not judges. They don’t know what bad BBQ tastes like.
3. If I like it, it don’t matter what anybody else thinks. See #2 and #3.

For me, the best advice i got was my own. And that is, meat does not need to reach temps of 200+ to be "probe tender"

Having been an early Sous vide user, i learned what cuts of meat become succulent at specific temps + time. I just took that knowledge and applied it to BBQ.

I guess i could give partial credit to Douglas Baldwin.

I stopped taking advice from BBQ purists and concentrate instead on cooking for those who will eat it. Doesn't matter to me which cooker it goes on, it's the results that count.

Don’t time the big meats to the minute everyone is suppose to eat. Time them to come off a couple hours early.

If every goes perfect? Not a problem, hold the meat for a couple hours.

If everything goes to chit? Not a problem, you’ve got time to recover.

I have messed that one up, numerous times! When I first started,I cooked ribs too long, for 6 hours ahead...only problem was, the temp on my cheap cooker was too low, so they were still undercooked :doh:

1. "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
2. The old guy that challenged me to cook a brisket with just salt and pepper who said "Beef tastes good all buy itself, just let the beef be beef".
3. Paul Kirk who once described spices like painting with water colors as a kid: You mix yellow and blue to get green, or red an yellow to get orange, or blue and red to get purple, but if you mix them all you get a brownish-grey sludge. Bottom line, Keep it Simple.

Back