THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our most recent car camping trip had meals catered to the kids - hobo dinners cooked in the fire (foil wrapped seasoned beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, hunk of bacon), pre-cooked ribs, brats/dogs, one pot beans and rice, walking tacos. Nothing fancy, a little fun, tasty enough!

I second the hobo dinners...always a staple on our trips. Squash is great in there too, along with mushrooms and top with some cheese after cooking

We cook meats and veggies over the camp fire on a tripod grill. You have a kettle so I would use that. +1 on the Dutch oven. Dutch oven biscuits are to die for (cook them on their sides instead of flat), as well as stews, soups, breakfast casseroles, deserts (makes great peach cobbler), etc. If you're bringing a butt, the Dutch oven makes great pulled pork. Baked potatoes, veggies, etc. can be wrapped in foil and buried in or next to the fire depending on how delicate they are (taters directly in fire).

At least one night, we make a pot luck stew where every one brings something to throw in the Dutch oven - meat, veggies (one guy always brings canned okra) and other weird stuff. Lots of fun. I'm getting that it's just your family so you will have to bring all the weird stuff yourself. And SMORES! Have a great time!

Oh, and bring your own firewood for camp fires - some places charge an arm and a leg for small quantities.

We're headed to Padre Island National Seashore next weekend for 4 nights. We're taking the Aliner (hardsided A-frame popup) and will have a battery bank, but it's 70 miles of undeveloped barrier island, so no hookups. I'm planning to take a drink (read: beer) cooler, one dedicated to food, and a big styrofoam one specifically for ice that i'll seal before heading down beach so we can refill the other 2 as they melt. ill have a weber kettle with me.

here's my plan with freezing all proteins prior to leaving:

-ribeyes
-vacuum sealed beef/chicken/pork skewers
-hamburgers and hotdogs (i dont actually like this because we have to take the bread into a super humid environment, but the wife overruled me)
-im gonna make some salmon or crab cakes ahead of time and freeze them
-paella ingredients (shrimp, chicken, sausage portioned out)

im also probably gonna bring some lamb shanks or a pork shoulder to bury in the sand because i want to. just have to make sure i bring something else in case i ruin it. :-o

we're good with most breakfast stuff being protein bars. im thinking we'll eat 2 meals most days because we have absolutely nothing else to do except hang around. im also hoping i catch so much drum and whiting that we waste some of the food we brought. im going to do our normal weekly vegetables, so potatoes/squash/onions/etc.

im hoping y'all have some food suggestions im missing. wanting to keep it simple since i have to pack all this stuff and if we're camping 30-40 miles down on the sand, that's a 4 hour drive into corpus christi to go to a grocery store.

I like to Boondock. I'm restoring a 18' 1975 Fleetwood Prowler for my wife and I. I use two big Marine Igloo Chest also.
I usually carry a 17" Blackstone Griddle, and a Smokey Joe too.
My big Weber stays home on my patio with my 36" Blackstone, Chargriller ect...
Boondocking can be as good or bad as you make it.
We Boondock and unwind... I prefer to go to the mountains.

We always make what we call "Artisan Stew." The name is a joke as it's usually just a mix of a bunch of stuff. Throw potatoes, smoked sausage, onions, peppers, etc. into an aluminum pan with whatever rub you want and a nice beer (Octoberfest is usually the go to) and just let it sit above the fire covered in foil for awhile and steam to goodness. Change up the protein to brisket or whatever if you want. Change up the veggies, etc. It all tastes good in the end. The world is your oyster. It feeds a crowd, it's easy to make, and you can't screw it up.

So no camp fire? If you can find some wood, Steak on a stick and roast wrapped in foil just off the fire. The important thing is to enjoy. :thumb:

The first couple of times we camped on the sand I just took the folding camp grill and cooked over a campfire in a hole. im pretty sure we ate more sand than food. now, the kettle goes and the campfire gets used for smores and hotdogs.

I like to Boondock. I'm restoring a 18' 1975 Fleetwood Prowler for my wife and I. I use two big Marine Igloo Chest also.
I usually carry a 17" Blackstone Griddle, and a Smokey Joe too.
My big Weber stays home on my patio with my 36" Blackstone, Chargriller ect...
Boondocking can be as good or bad as you make it.
We Boondock and unwind... I prefer to go to the mountains.

mountains for us is later in the year. my wife's a teacher, so we always head warm during spring break since it's early march and then summer/fall we're more likely to go north. this june disney world is the summer trip, though, so im hoping to get some late july-early august days out to drag the aliner up to smokey mtn national park for a few days.

im planning for an early-june trip to big bend next summer, though. not crazy hot by then, but warm enough to get in the water. its about 9 hours each way from dallas.

yeah, it is windy down there pretty much all the time, but especially more windy this time of year, so open fire cooking can get a little sandy. I am guessing you will be doing a bit of fishing so I am sure you are prepared to cook your catch. To those who are not familiar with PINS, it is a pretty extreme camping compared to being at a campsite. Pretty treacherous driving conditions too.

My go-to camp meals are mountain man breakfast in the DO, eggs, (CI), burgers and steaks (CI or grilled). If situation allows a DO cobbler - usually peach. Always have sandwich meats and snacks in the cooler. Oh, almost forgot a big one - beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know why, but no matter where we go camping its been tradition to do a seafood boil. Even camping places where theres no seafood to be fished. We always bring along frozen shrimp, crab legs, clams...ect...ect

We always used pie irons in the campfire. You can put anything between 2 slices of bread. Eggs, sloppy joes, lunch meat, pizza fixings, fruit pie fillings, etc. My kids loved them as much as we did when we were little.

Your meal plans sound good! I do the same, figure out what I want to cook then pack a cooler full of the food and another cooler for beverages.

Probably too late, but here's how I do underground meals...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/06/underground-pit-cooking.html

I take a couple of old oven racks with me. Burn wood down to get a good bed of hot coals,

Place an oven rack over the coals, then the food..

7X7lnBk.jpg

dSd5RyV.jpg

cover the pit with what ever you have, metal, etc. then bury with dirt.

8MMBNzm.jpg

I do a lot of campfire cooking and dutch oven cooking. Usually make a huge breakfast then another meal for supper.

ribs, beans n corn...

uFltabw.jpg

venison backstrap steaks n eggs for breakfast..

L3Z7teQ.jpg

RkgVMyx.jpg

venison shoulder fajitas...

tEt8JFs.jpg

surf and turf... steak and crableg..

sPGxEJB.jpg

venison, shrimp and grits...

QPTgh4J.jpg

ai0lriW.jpg

dutch oven fatties...

c6Q363z.jpg

I9OwTjT.jpg

bacon biscuits sittin' on sausage gravy..

6MDkK3x.jpg

moyHU6o.jpg

game hens with tatoes...

icw2J4T.jpg

I'm convinced the everything tastes better while camping. :laugh:

Hope you have a great weekend!

lol I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Now I have camping fever. :tsk:

We normally take a cast iron skillet and do taquitos for breakfast (either chorizo or JD) and then make chicken and beef skewers, burgers and dogs, steaks, chicken, the usual stuff. We have a tendency to throw stuff in marinade in ziplock bags before we go. Cooks up real nice.

Your meal plans sound good! I do the same, figure out what I want to cook then pack a cooler full of the food and another cooler for beverages.

Probably too late, but here's how I do underground meals...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/06/underground-pit-cooking.html

I take a couple of old oven racks with me. Burn wood down to get a good bed of hot coals,

Place an oven rack over the coals, then the food..

7X7lnBk.jpg

dSd5RyV.jpg

cover the pit with what ever you have, metal, etc. then bury with dirt.

8MMBNzm.jpg

I do a lot of campfire cooking and dutch oven cooking. Usually make a huge breakfast then another meal for supper.

ribs, beans n corn...

uFltabw.jpg

venison backstrap steaks n eggs for breakfast..

L3Z7teQ.jpg

RkgVMyx.jpg

venison shoulder fajitas...

tEt8JFs.jpg

surf and turf... steak and crableg..

sPGxEJB.jpg

venison, shrimp and grits...

QPTgh4J.jpg

ai0lriW.jpg

dutch oven fatties...

c6Q363z.jpg

I9OwTjT.jpg

bacon biscuits sittin' on sausage gravy..

6MDkK3x.jpg

moyHU6o.jpg

game hens with tatoes...

icw2J4T.jpg

I'm convinced the everything tastes better while camping. :laugh:

Hope you have a great weekend!

lol I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Now I have camping fever. :tsk:
Show off.

Back