THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
In August 2013 my Bride bought me a Primo Oval XL 400. Stainless cart and we've added I think every accessory made. Helluva cooker. Fire bowl is finally cracked and separatedto where the grates can rock. Deemed it time to file a warranty claim. It's never been super hot. The once per year 500* self clean. I'm only on my 2nd gasket on bottom and original on top. So it's not abused.

Anytime ceramic grills are mentioned the warranty is at top of list of things to consider. I seldom ever need customer service on anything so I'm always somewhat nervous how it will turn out.

Last edited:
That is pretty common unfortunately. I went with a kick ash basket to eliminate the bottom grate. I think I read somewhere that the new charcoal basket is in two pieces to allow the material to expand and contract without cracking. I am sure they will take care of you on the warranty and send replacements. They have always been good.

Fingers crossed. It doesn’t show up well but besides the big cracks with separation there are several other fractures at different points that are not separated.

I can't speak to your Kamodo but, my Vision Grill arrived with a cracked firebowl along the casting relief and it was a relatively easy and painless process to get a replacement sent.

Hopefully, your experience will be similar to mine. :wink:

We bought our son and DIL a Vision for a housewarming gift. It has a molded expansion joint in the fire bowl. He does high heat cooks often on theirs, zero issues. He lets me cook on it when we visit. Fun cooker.

If it was just crack and separated I wouldn’t be to concerned, but cracked separated rocking and other cracks with warped grate seems not cool

If it was just crack and separated I wouldn’t be to concerned, but cracked separated rocking and other cracks with warped grate seems not cool

Yes, minor cracking isn't really concern to me with the internals. Warping or the lack of proper grate support is definitely a no-go for me too. A simple crack in a firebowl isn't going to stop me unless it really opens up to threaten the rest of the Kamodo.

I have the Primo XL and the same thing happen to me. They blamed it on the fire grate splitting and that's what caused the ceramic to split. They sent me a new ceramic insert but said I had to buy a new fire grate, which I did. A couple of years later the fire grate starting to come apart again. I ordered one from the bbqguys and it is a lot heavier then the one from Primo. I've haven't had a problem since. Good luck!

Thanks. I’ve seen stories like yours scattered across the bbq websites. One reason I’m worried. I get the cast iron warranty is not the same as ceramics. I knew going in my options are pick up at their store or pay shipping. Not replacing the bowl I probably won’t understand. I don’t cook pizzas or high temperature grills. Just their recommendation for clean out.

Think Positive, right?

I have never shared this here before but my warranty experience with Primo was less than stellar.

I'll try to keep it brief.
My top cracked. Grill was less than a year old. I placed a claim. George (owner of Primo) called me about 2 days later. He said he looked at my pics and the grill had been hit with something. I immediately lost my cool as I thought he was setting it up to deny my claim. The grill was most certainly not hit with anything. The top retained moisture and it was -5 degrees out and it cracked. There were also smaller chips inside the top. You could see small spots around the inside of the top where the creosote had popped off and was missing. George adamantly said...this was impossible. I adamantly disagreed.
(grilled lived outside. It had the primo vinyl cover on it at all times. Outside of the cover it was open to the elements. It now lives with the vinyl cover under an awning to keep it dry)

Long story short. It took them 2 months and several emails and phone calls to send me a replacement. (citing "production issues") We agreed to split the shipping. So a replacement top and bottom cost me $90.

In the end the issue was resolved but I didn't walk away with glowing confidence in their customer service.

That said I LOVE the grill. I believe there was some type of manufacturing defect in the original grill I got and so far the replacement is holding up just fine.
I have pics but I'm not looking to derail the thread.
Just wanted to share my experience.

I hear you. I’ve seen similar stories. Agree 100%The Oval XL is outstanding. Most of my friends and family that have ceramics have the BGE. A few have others. The BGE crowd (Of which I’m a former BGE mini owner) are a very loyal crowd to the green. They’ve all said that they wished BGE had an Oval, but they’re not going to budge and switch brands. I know three of them within last year added Top End Traegers and their BGEs are now used as grills,?when they’re used. One of them couldn’t cook soup, he now cooks for neighbors on his high end Traeger.

This morning I received an email to call them Monday to discuss shipping.
Everything is normal at this point

My grate did the same after about 6 or 7 years. I started to worry it would split my ceramic and just eventually tossed it and ordered the kick ash basket. Very pleased with both!

Seriously love my primo xl.

We made some rockin pizza on it this week.

Hope they take care of you.

Just outside looking in Adams as I don't do ceramics but if for some reason they do not honor your warranty, you might consider a Weber Summit Charcoal. They use an air envelope instead of ceramics.

Just my .02 and good luck. Hope it goes smoothly.

If I were a younger man Id probably take my Trump Bucks and buy something. However since I’m in the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking career I will probably rock on with what I have. I keep quite a bit of variety in my neverdothesamethingtwice cooks. Experimenting with coals and rubs. Even had The wife’s blessings to buy a Glock 29. Passed on that too, for now.
Time marches on.

If I were a younger man Id probably take my Trump Bucks and buy something. However since I’m in the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking career I will probably rock on with what I have. I keep quite a bit of variety in my neverdothesamethingtwice cooks. Experimenting with coals and rubs. Even had The wife’s blessings to buy a Glock 29. Passed on that too, for now.
Time marches on.

Can sure relate Brother. :thumb: