UDS brisket struggles, some questions

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
Been using a home built uds type smoker for couple years and had great success (after some trial and errors) with almost everything. Have finally started trying briskets ( done 2 now). and am struggling and have overcooked and dried them out. It’s not tough but dry so pretty sure it’s over and not under cooked. hope some can answer my questions. Some info, dry brining night before cook with S P G and attempting to trim according to most guides leaving 1/4” fat on fat side. Cooking fat down, briquettes with couple fist sized chunks oak. Prob 275 avg temp. Flavor and bark have been great and since my family don’t realize brisket is not supposed to be dry and crumbly (flat not point, it’s ok but not exceptionally moist either) they enjoy it and finish it all off but I want something closer to perfection. I have also wrapped completely in foil after done and left in cooler 1-2 hours. There is a fair amount of juices in bottom of foil boat ( I have been using the foil boat technique) when removing from cooker but it’s all been reabsorbed once slicing.

Probe tender ? What I read says cook to probe tender in thickest part of flat. Both of my briskets the thickest part of the flat have probed tender long before the thinner area of the flat. I have not started checking till 190 (probe thickest part of flat). The thinner area has taken hour + longer to soften up and never gets to the same level of tender. Could I have missed the thin being tender earlier?

Wrap? I have been foil boating attempting to preserve bark, once at the appearance of the stall and this last weekend after stall. I have left fat side down both times, should I have turned brisket fat up in the wrap?

Holding in cooler? I read sometimes where people leave out on counter unwrapped or opened up for varying lengths of time prior to rewrapping and putting in cooler while others say just drop into cooler for the hold / rest? Is there something I am missing here as in certain situations wrap and straight in vs others vent on counter first?

We love the bark and flavor but thinking I have to give some up by wrapping completely rather than boating to keep moist but I don’t know. Hoping some of you experts can help me scale this brisket learning curve a little sooner rather than dry out any more of them.
Thanks
Martin

I would recommend either doing a full foil or doing a foil boat with fat side up. What is good about flipping to fat side up is that the juices collect around the flat and help to speed things up and finish in a moist environment. With the boat method, it was invented to help render the remaining fat cap while keeping the flat protected.

When your flat probes tender, is all of it dry and crumbly or just the edges? If just the edges, then you made to trim the thinner parts a little more heavily to try and get a more even thickness throughout the flat.

You've also only cooked 2 briskets, so with more time and cooks under your belt things will get easier and more intuitive. I've certainly had to turn a couple briskets into chopped beef or chili through my brisket journeys.

Well although all flat was dry definitely worse nearing edge. I prob did not trim heavy enough as it was fairly thin near edge. Will try being more aggressive in that. I am really stumped regarding the thicker area if flat being probe tender sooner though.

Will flip fat side up next time i wrap, that makes sense and prob missed that in the guidelines i found online.

Thanks for the help
Briskets are pricey and want to to make tge best of them sooner rather than later

So after cooking do you open up the foil and let it rest on the counter for 20 minutes at least?
Many here say after that rest, re wrap and put it in the prewarmed cooler for a couple of hours. I do Bludawg's way and each time gets better.

I have not done that but went full foil (on cooker was in foil boat) and straight into cooler after removing from uds. That was confusing me a bit but pretty sure that’s part of my issue. (Kept cooking in cooler)
I was thinking the venting on counter was only when fully wrapped (not foil boat) to let out trapped steam but if I am understanding correctly I should be allowing a quick cool down to close to serving temp before rewrapping and into cooler.

The suggestions I would offer are..... 1) keep a journal of your brisket cooks until you get a procedure that works for you. Come up with a list of things to evaluate like, color, tenderness, moisture, smokiness, cook temp, amount and type of fuel, etc, with ad hoc comments. 2) Try not to change too many variables at one time. It's tempting to make huge changes in procedure, but harder to observe cause/effect of each changed variable with other variables changing at the same time. 3) get a good thermometer/probes if you don't already have them. Keep a little journal during the cook of time/temps and add to overall evaluation if noteworthy.

As KCLandCruiser said, you only have 2 under your belt. Brisket is difficult to learn. Read as much as you can, but only by cooking will you truly make progress.

The one thing I would suggest (in addition to everything everyone else has said) is if you are buying cheaper grades of Brisket, using an injection will work wonders for not allowing the flat to dry out. The fact of the matter is in lower grades of brisket you can cook it well, but the flat can get dry on you. Also, totally agree with what they say once you nail a brisket you know what to look for. Even on ones I don't knock out the park I know it before I slice it.
P.S. Overcooked brisket is WAY BETTER than undercooked brisket.

Thanks Guys for responding

Its been helpful, think i have a few things to change / focus on for the next one. Plan on doing more trimming so edges not so thin, will stay with foil boat (as we loved the bark achieved) but flip to fat side up when doing so, might start probing for tender at 185 vs 190 just to be sure i am not missing anything and allow to sit out till 165 ish internal before wrapping and into cooler for min 1 hour before slicing.
Prob wont be for a few weeks but i will post results when i get aroind to trying again.
Hopefully make some big gains in quality with the next one
Martin

Quality in, quality out.
Try a prime grade brisket. I know it costs more but it turns out better at the end with less effort. Better = moist, tender and tasty.
The “probe tender” is all in experience which takes time and unfortunately more cooks. My family got me a Meater thermometer and that had me removing from the heat sooner than I would normally (not “probe tender”). Brisket is not the easiest and truth be told a lot of people on here might not be as critical of their cooks as you or I. Other people stretch the facts a little, my opinion. The main key is we’re all nuts but we all love the smoke. Even when it doesn’t turn out how you want or up to your high expectations I bet it still eats and the family loves it. It’s also way cheaper than going to a BBQ joint.

Here is a recent cook I did that was with a choice grade flat. My goal with this cook was not to probe but to finish in the 190s and I let rest until dinner time. Done on a WSM 22” with lump and cherry chunks. It was one of my best choice grade flats I’ve done.
Good luck

Last edited:
Back