The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Roughly 2.75”. It’s a bit tight, but I have used the multi-grate setup many times with zero issue... :)

Whoops, misremembered. Yeah, just shy of 2.75", and the standard Sams pan is 3" tall.

I think that rib picture can be deceptive. I like that it demonstrates that you have to run things front to back. However, if it's anything that isn't long like a rack of ribs-you won't have access to the back without removing the grates above. So if you wanted to fill it with chicken thighs or chuck roasts...good luck.

Appreciate all the answers and almost caught up to current with the thread. Like many, a lot of repeated questions and answers, with gems stuck between, I've learned a lot in this thread!

I've come to terms with what I'm going to spend and am over it. If I want quality, it costs. So, when adding up what I'd probably put together for a package, I'm almost at Memphis Pro pricing lol! So, with a dealer a mile away, I think a lunch time visit is in order. Last time I ruled them out on cost without really looking at them, the GM, P/S and Yoders all held my attention fine.

I'm sure I'd be happy with either the 2 star or Pro, and pricewise it's really close. I really like having a local dealer for parts/accessories/help, but it's also made outside the US now vs the Mak...... can't I just have it all?

Appreciate all the answers and almost caught up to current with the thread. Like many, a lot of repeated questions and answers, with gems stuck between, I've learned a lot in this thread!

I've come to terms with what I'm going to spend and am over it. If I want quality, it costs. So, when adding up what I'd probably put together for a package, I'm almost at Memphis Pro pricing lol! So, with a dealer a mile away, I think a lunch time visit is in order. Last time I ruled them out on cost without really looking at them, the GM, P/S and Yoders all held my attention fine.

I'm sure I'd be happy with either the 2 star or Pro, and pricewise it's really close. I really like having a local dealer for parts/accessories/help, but it's also made outside the US now vs the Mak...... can't I just have it all?

Edit: I totally missed the very last bit where you already knew they were made overseas. Since I'm coming back to clean that up, I'll share a little info having had both a Memphis and a MAK. I will say that both are superbly constructed grills (at least the US Made Pro I had was). They both get to and hold temps well and are very 'fuel efficient'. The Memphis gets a little hotter, but the direct grilling on it was a much smaller concentrated zone. I found it hard to sear more than a steak or two at a time, but it did it well if that's all you need to sear. The deal breaker for me was that I had issues with grease fires frequently on the Memphis. For example, if I started with a spotless grill and put a couple chuck roasts on at 225 for good smoke, then after a few hours bumped the temp up to 275-300, I'd get a grease fire. Not just a flare up, but a fire that burned every bit of grease that the chuck roasts had shed to that point. This could be avoided by using aluminum pans to catch drippings on greasy meats, but with the layout of the upper shelves, I didn't like the capacity restrictions using pans would have created and was often doing pretty sizable cooks. That was my only real issue with the Memphis. I totally get the desire to deal locally. From my experience, even though it's not local, MAK support is amazing. I even got a follow up call a few weeks after on an issue that was resolved quickly at that time to make sure everything was still going well.

I'm sure there are a few others around here that have experience with Memphis if you have more questions, I know gtsum had one as he helped me find a place to buy mine.

Last edited:
I had a USA made elite. Great quality and construction. Little lighter smoke than my yoder I had prior. Grease fires can be an issue if you alternate between long cooks and short grilling as glitchy said. I was enamored with the elite due to the construction and looks...if I’m being honest, the yoder had a better layout for me and might of worked better for how I cook. The Memphis was made like a fine switch watch though. I wouldn’t buy one now that they are overseas....I haven’t tried a Mak yet, but if I were going to get a pellet cooker in that price range, It would be the lone star or a Mak 2* I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks glitchy/gtsum,

I knew they were overseas since roughly 2019, seems when they moved, they didn't announce it and some were caught by surprise. I'd be disappointed if I spent good cash on what I thought was US made, only to find out it was not.

I did stop by and look over an Elite, they had one left, one on the floor and one Pro in stock. The newest models still have two hoppers, but now they have two augers as well. The nice sales person only wanted to talk in generalities and didn't know that either until I was looking at it. In the end, it was reading the Memphis FB page that stopped this search, there was a string with too many common problems, even if a lot of them were on built-ins to play that game.

There was a lot to like about the Memphis, it's a well built piece without a doubt. But my heart kept calling me back to the Mak. There are just too many things I really like (at least on paper) and hearing the company story put it way over the top.

After all that, I was trying to convince myself the all SS 2 star would actually be cost effective if I needed all the extras that come with it, but in the end it will be the standard, unless the BPS sale on the SS is silly.

I've signed up for an account, loaded addresses and CC's into their system and have the list ready, no more shopping, my mind is made up (but the SS is really nice looking).

Mak 2 Star with the BPS special, full grate with the unit and the following:

Another 3/4 grate, I considered getting another full to have the full set, but I'll have the 1/2 grates from the bottom to work with too.

The 1/2 griddle, the searing grates (1), accessory hook, the door and WiFi and a cover if I don't get the special kit, but with it you get the rubs and such for $10.

That's the SS setup minus the two extra temp probes. First time I see the need for another full grate or probes, I'll probably order them all just to have them. It's almost exactly $1k less with taxes and I just can't sell myself on SS bottom for a grand, it'll cook the same.

So much thanks for all the info in this thread and others, I'm a learning sponge here and will have a good head start for when ever my unit shows up. I plan on ordering as soon as the sale starts, so it's sorta waiting to get into line to wait, but I'm good with that!

Awesome! Post up some pics of the Mak and some food once U get it. Lots of Mak owners here on the site too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gotcha, Thanks Robb. Trying to decide if I should buy now with the discount. Then get rid of the Copperhead and Davy. Still its an s**t ton of money.

Gotcha, Thanks Robb. Trying to decide if I should buy now with the discount. Then get rid of the Copperhead and Davy. Still its an s**t ton of money.

You already know my thoughts on MAK’s... lol. That said, they definitely ain’t cheap... it truly is a personal decision :)

So far I’m pretty impressed with my 2*. My plan is to send all of my other pellet smokers down the road to offset some of the pain lol.

Back