Surf & Turf Mother's Day

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
Friday I asked MSD if she wanted a nice steak dinner for Mother's day and she said sure, can I have shrimp with it. We had a few Rib eyes cut from a primal in the freezer along with shrimp and scallops so the menu was planned along with some corn we just bought in town (the big city!).

Saturday morning the dog and I took our weekly garbage haul in and then headed off to the local hardware store to get a couple hanging plants for MSD. Low and behold there was the fish monger trailer (Alaska Seafood) parked at the main street intersection. He had some nice spot shrimp for a not so reasonable price but what the heck, MSD wanted shrimp and these were pretty nice.

On to the cook
The Bone In Rib Eye was about 2" or so thick

Rib Eye.jpg

Seasoned with home made garlic powder and onion powder (freeze dryer experiment) Kosher salt, black pepper, and ground Porcini mushrooms.

seasoned.jpg

The scallops were seasoned with Garlic powder, Salt, and some porcini.
The Spot Shrimp, well it is Mother's Day so went with Slap Your Momma!

Seafood.jpg

Got the Weber fired up with coal and Hickory chunks and the cast Iron grate heated for the sear

Sear.jpg

Dialed the heat back some before moving to the side

reduce heat.jpg

Scallops on and everything is getting some of that hickory smoke

Scallops.jpg

Get the cast iron on cast iron pan ready with butter and minced garlic

Cast Iron.jpg

Spot Shrimp are on and smelling good!

Spot shrimp.jpg

Scallops joined the Shrimp in the Garlic butter hot tub!

Hot Tub.jpg

Final trip to the heat for the Rib Eye while the seafood gets a foil cover

Final.jpg

Rib Eye is pulled at 115° and off to "rest"

Rest.jpg

Pick a few fresh Asparagus from the Garden and gave them a quick grill. The corn was cooked inside and no pictures.

Asparagus.jpg

Rib Eye was cooked like MSD wanted it

Rare.jpg

And a plated dinner for Mother's Day

Plated.jpg

Even a desert of Vanilla Ice Cream with hot fudge and cashews!

Desert.jpg

It was a great meal and even had leftovers for a great lunch on Monday
Thanks for Lookin
SD

Wow - that is a fine Mother’s Day meal there. Well done!

Thanks NoOne - We enjoyed it

Excellent work!

Appreciate it gtsum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's what I'm talking about neighbor. Done right! That the MSD's rub on the steak?

Thanks Neighbor - Sort of. She made the garlic powder and onion powder and I ground up the Porcini mushrooms. The mushroom rub was origionaly her idea and it is a standard around here now.

That all looks very pleasing, how long did the scallops take

Thanks Titch. Scallops only take a few minutes. This time I gave a quick sear over the coals 2-3 minutes and then let ride on the outer edge while the shrimp cooked. last minute idea to give them a little butter and garlic bath when taking off the grill.

Back