Suggestions for cross cut shank?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy folks! I'd gotten a request from my barber for assistance. He went in with a neighbor on a cow. One of the cuts that he got that's been sitting in his freezer is labelled as a "cross cut". He didn't know what it was, so it's stayed in the freezer. He knows I like to cook/smoke and asked me for help.

My response: I've never cooked a beef shank before, but I'll figure something out. He dropped off a couple of these cuts and now I need to develop a game plan.

My initial thought was to treat it sort of like a chuckie...use the smoker to impart smoke and flavor while allowing the fat/connective tissue to break down. Tie the piece with kitchen twine, use a basic rub, toss on a grate to cook to ~ 165 IT, then add to a foil pan with some beef stock, some diced onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, garlic, cover with foil and cook until ~ 200 IT.

What do you typically do with your beef shanks?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

I usually just cook it osso bucco style (Italian stew).
But I have done a couple of smoke/braises as you indicate.
I suggest you trim off membrane around the cut or it will buckle.
Here is my video. My method is in the description.

P1030421-1.jpg

Smoked and braised is the way to go. Gonna wanna do kinda like brisket KISS spg some broth and butter on the braise. Is this the tall thors hammer cut ?

There's an Aussie member that used to do a lot of shanks from various animals. I haven't seen him post here in awhile though.

He loved his Vegemite.
3534F79F00000578-3638462-In_1990_a_new_commercial_for_the_VEGEMITE_brand_was_filmed_using-a-146_1465801020722.jpg

Last edited:
It's the best meat for beef gulyas or stew IMHO cut into 2 inch cubes. Cooked low and slow on stove top until fork tender or until the pieces fall apart when pressed. Stays together even though well done. throw the bones in there as well but remove and eat the marrow before it falls out of the rounds.

Back