Spicy Beef Udon in under 30 minutes!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
There's a goofy TD going on right now in which you have to cook a meal, start to finish (minus marinades and grill prep) in 30 minutes or less.

I was leaving work when the Mrs called and told me I was cooking dinner.. I saw my chance and I took it. I knew they would be home from Tae Kwon Do at 7, so I planned accordingly.

For a fast meal, I chose the wok. Nothing like cooking at 8-900 degrees to get a meal done quickly. Before I started the timer, I sliced and mixed up a marinade for the meat. I used some a lb of chuck eye I bought last weekend when they were on sale for, get this, $2.99/lb! I bought all they had.

Marinade was Oyster sauce, fish sauce, dark soy, black pepper, Crushed chili flakes, and some mirin..

Then I started the clock -

I started some Udon noodles and got to chopping. Prep went quick, but it looked like the sweedish farkin chef had been there when I was done.. Shiitakes, asparagus, onion, garlic, chilis, bok choi, green onion.

Prep is done. Clock check..

Tick Tock

And.... there's a stoppage.. Wife is gone, I'm throwing food everywhere, almost forgetting my whiskey and coke (almost) and my daughter calls... she's home early from her trip to Champaign. (I had 2 swigs of whiskey coke, I'm still sober) so I drop everything and run over to pick her up. Whole trip took about 10 minutes tops... back to the action..

Got everything outside and then remembered the clock...

Ok, on to the wok...

Meat first -

Removed meat, then did asparagus for a minute, then added onion

After that, garlic and chilis, then shrooms and bok choi, then noodles, then some sauce, then green onions and out of the wok. This all happened in about 2 minutes. Sauce was a real savory sauce of Dark soy, oyster, fish sauce, rice vinegar, and a dash of sugar. Nice balance of savory, tart, sweet.. I dunno exactly, I just mix and taste till it feels right..

Boom! Outta the wok

Time!

Plated -

It was tasty! Thanks for lookin!

I know I was over by 5 minutes, but I'm hoping that my 10 minute time out for children taxi service is ok... If so, I made it in 25!

Last edited:
Awesome, I love udon noodles!

Been a long day or I'd be tempted to try your recipe. Next rainy day it's on!

Holy cow Matt! Look farking awesome. You just upped this TD some. :nod:

Looks great! Nice job Shag. Must be those sharp Japenese knives you have and that crazy hot burner stand for the wok.

Thanks everyone!

When I seen this TD I just knew you would be bringing the Heat!

Nice work Bro!

Thanks Paul! I honestly had nothing in mind when I picked the category, but I knew that I do cook a lot on a short timeline during the week.. I was figuring I was going to enter steak tacos or something, but this just worked out I guess. Any excuse to use the wok is a good one!

You should bring that on over to the "I'd hit that" throwdown also, cause I'd definitely hit that! :thumb:

Back