Sous Vide Tri Tip

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well as luck would have it, the birthday girl (Mom) wasn't feeling well and canceled our party. However, we still had Tri Tip :D

Oakridge Santa Maria Seasoning and SV bath @130 for 3 hours
53311596802_85950f3a51_b.jpg

Out the bath she comes
53312465816_45f743eb43_b.jpg

Yet an even more pleasant looking piece of meat pat dry and ready for sear
53312939895_754b3622aa_b.jpg

FIRE! Torched this one for like a minute each side, and made sure to get the sides too.
53312828364_7a1c9bcbc3_b.jpg

All nice and toasty
53311596887_9b59536354_b.jpg

Center cut...I think I did okay
53312706893_8e548f3939_b.jpg

All slicked up and ready to eat
53312828434_833240a512_b.jpg

MY plate...basic meal but the potatoes and corn were on point. The steak was so tender....probably the laziest/easiest steak I've ever made. Looks like we'll have to order another tri tip for the actual party.
53311596757_6e243a3fcc_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice, Adam.
I think you may have bought a Picanha too? It will be as good or better!

I love sous vide for its precision, but i always find it lacking in flavor with beef no matter how its finished. Chicken breast is a different story.
Well, chuck roast is the only exception.

As for Tri-Tip, a quick sear on a crazy hot grill, then tented in a boat low and slow produces the most tender and flavorful Tri-Tip you will ever have. And the juices in the boat makes the best au jus you will ever have.

Last edited:
Very nice, Adam.
I think you may have bought a Picanha too? It will be as good or better!

I do have a picanha in the freezer! I may have to get another one for the number of poeple coming over.

Do you always finish with the torch or do you use any other finishing steps?

Actually this was the first time using a torch. Full disclosure, I had no charcoal and didn't want to use my gasser. I will say it was SUPER convenient. We had a lot of stuff going on at the house, so to be able to trim season, SV ,and sear relatively hands off, was great. However, I don't think you can beat a sear from lump or charcoal.

Do you think 3 hours was enough to have a tenderizing effect? I have never cooked a tri-tip.

It was a prime cut, good intramuscular fat, and I think 3 was plenty for tenderness. I have heard people go longer, and I'd like to try it some day.

It was a prime cut, good intramuscular fat, and I think 3 was plenty for tenderness. I have heard people go longer, and I'd like to try it some day.
I am just getting into this. I did some NY strips for 3 hours/125deg and didn't think that made them any more tender. I also did a couple more for maybe 9 hours at 125deg and did think they tenderized a little bit/about the right amount.

Back