THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

But, my experience has been that you have a lot of compromises along the way, to getting where you want to go.

A lot of those folks who are serving bad BBQ, are doing so, in order to stay in business. Believe it or not, most folks, anywhere, can't or don't care. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't, but, it does mean you will be putting a lot of effort where it has only moderate bang.

Very good point, to put out excellent BBQ, the kind that gains lots of media attention.. thinking Franklin's, Louie Mueller BBQ etc.. takes a lot of quality control and attention to detail. It would be very difficult to make enough good BBQ to last 9-10 business hours. However, making good consistent BBQ is the key and you make your money by charging for that quality. Surviving long term depends on location and serving the type of people willing to pay for that quality. Franklins makes a living on serving young single hipster types with spending money. The same kind that can help make you famous using social media. I will say his success and reputation is well deserved. That's my opinion anyways.

JS, there are crazy food markets and Austin is one of them. I would venture that if Aaron Franklin had started somewhere else, that did not have the strong economy of tech hipsters, he would have had a hard time making it. There are markets like that, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Asheville, and a few others, that can support someone who is going to cook Prime grade briskets, cook only a set number and be done. Most areas will not get it.

Very true Landarc^, there is also not many people with young families willing to wait 3 hours to eat BBQ. The times I've gone my wife and kids dropped me off and found something to do while I "braved" the line, drank a few beers and talked BBQ. :becky:

I just know if I ever had to run a BBQ restaurant, I wouldn't even want to think about using a stickburner. I know how much work they are.

This is why there are very few good BBQ restaurants. There are very few people who are willing to do what it takes to make good BBQ in a restaurant environment. It is the equivalent of working 2 full-time jobs for one full-time salary, if you're lucky.

I would tend to disagree that a lot of the folks running Southern Prides, gas CTO's etc...have no desire or lack the dedication to turn out great BBQ. I think there is a lot of generalization and assumptions about the business of running a restaurant that are being missed.

If you run an all wood operation, you are going to incur some costs, that may not be paid back in the long run. Such as sourcing wood year around, that is seasoned and ready to burn. The cost of storing said wood, as you will need to store at least enough to last between loads and you can't store that wood in the kitchen, that isn't allowed and square footage costs money. The disposal of the ash, that is an interesting thing, then there is the flue, and the fact that it will need to be cleaned often, and sweeping isn't cheap in an urban/suburban setting.

I think a lot of folks start off with the best of intentions, and find out, that there are just a lot of issues with doing things the "right" way.

Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park, IL uses FEC 500s and it is the best restaurant Q I have ever had. I'm not sure what he uses in his other 2 soon to be 3 other restaurants but that FEC 500 does the job just fine.

Just out of curiosity are there decent, all-stick cookers that are used in the restaurant industry? Also, how much wood would it take to run an all-stick restaurant? Just curious.

Hey oldbill, no harm no foul. I get in trouble probably more than most for forgetting how hard it is to convey sarcasm or a joking tone when the person I'm talking to can't see me or doesn't know me or if they're reading it.

Very good point, to put out excellent BBQ, the kind that gains lots of media attention.. thinking Franklin's, Louie Mueller BBQ etc.. takes a lot of quality control and attention to detail. It would be very difficult to make enough good BBQ to last 9-10 business hours. However, making good consistent BBQ is the key and you make your money by charging for that quality. Surviving long term depends on location and serving the type of people willing to pay for that quality. Franklins makes a living on serving young single hipster types with spending money. The same kind that can help make you famous using social media. I will say his success and reputation is well deserved. That's my opinion anyways.

No, I agree with you 100%. I think I have the location nailed because while Macon, GA is no Austin in terms of hipster population, it is going up. There's a big push for local stuff here as well as all over the nation and frankly, nobody around here is pushing that through their restaurant. There may be a handful that will, but none of them are bbq places.

JS, there are crazy food markets and Austin is one of them. I would venture that if Aaron Franklin had started somewhere else, that did not have the strong economy of tech hipsters, he would have had a hard time making it. There are markets like that, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Asheville, and a few others, that can support someone who is going to cook Prime grade briskets, cook only a set number and be done. Most areas will not get it.

Yeah I'm caught in a place that I think I could benefit from the hipster types as far as technology and food uppityness goes, but I'm also in Georgia, where a fair amount of people couldn't even understand why somebody like Franklin would only serve x amount of brisket and would generally get mad if you ran out of anything. This is the reason I'm looking for the best compromise between an authentic bbq taste and texture, and being able to produce a good amount, with no loss of quality, all night long. I know it'll be tough, but I got two other people I can drag on board who will absolutely hold the same quality standards I want. I just have to find the right smoker to make that quality product.

I would tend to disagree that a lot of the folks running Southern Prides, gas CTO's etc...have no desire or lack the dedication to turn out great BBQ. I think there is a lot of generalization and assumptions about the business of running a restaurant that are being missed.

If you run an all wood operation, you are going to incur some costs, that may not be paid back in the long run. Such as sourcing wood year around, that is seasoned and ready to burn. The cost of storing said wood, as you will need to store at least enough to last between loads and you can't store that wood in the kitchen, that isn't allowed and square footage costs money. The disposal of the ash, that is an interesting thing, then there is the flue, and the fact that it will need to be cleaned often, and sweeping isn't cheap in an urban/suburban setting.

I think a lot of folks start off with the best of intentions, and find out, that there are just a lot of issues with doing things the "right" way.

Yeah, I agree. I would love to have a giant Lang or two or something or another out back smoking the hell out of stuff. I can't though, for various reasons. I'm sure there are people out there making really good bbq with gas and whatnot, and that's what I'm trying to find out. CAN you make really, really, good, smoked meat with a gas assist wood fired smoker? Does it taste at least as good as what I can make on my Weber OTS at home? Can I build a charcoal or wood basket for it and have it run on that unattended for 6-8-10 hours without the gas coming on if need be? Do I HAVE to have the gas running? Can I just fill it full of charcoal and fabricate a bbqguru to the door of a 20,000 dollar smoker. Do pellets really do as good as everybody says? I've never had bbq that I know of off of either, so I'm just not sure how good it can be.

Another option: http://www.anbewley.com/

Bewley was a partner with Oyler. Started own company after Oyler's death when company was sold to J.R

Thanks, I'll check them out too.

Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park, IL uses FEC 500s and it is the best restaurant Q I have ever had. I'm not sure what he uses in his other 2 soon to be 3 other restaurants but that FEC 500 does the job just fine.

Thank you I appreciate it. I've checked them out and they look pretty good.

I still can't believe the comments and suggestions that you guys are throwing out and I want to say again that I thank you.

Just out of curiosity are there decent, all-stick cookers that are used in the restaurant industry? Also, how much wood would it take to run an all-stick restaurant? Just curious.

If you check out the http://www.anbewley.com/ site, they list that the smaller smoker will burn through a cord of wood a month, the bigger one a cord and a half.

Hey oldbill, no harm no foul. I get in trouble probably more than most for forgetting how hard it is to convey sarcasm or a joking tone when the person I'm talking to can't see me or doesn't know me or if they're reading it.
Oh yeah, we're cool! The confusion would never have started if I had kept a better eye on who was posting what!:-? Sometimes I get caught up in the discussions and don't really pay attention to who I'm talking to. Between my chronic A.D.D.(not paying attention) and over-reacting mole-hills become mountains very quickly, so it was mostly my bad. By the way, if you're ever in Corpus Christi again go for sea food, Corpus is not really known for world class BBQ as you have found out! LOL!:laugh: Just a thought, I wonder if we have a section in this forum where the Brethren could post critiques on restaurants and joints that they've been to? I think that It would be nice if we could refer to it and get a heads up about where to go and what to avoid when travelling in various states! If not then maybe we can start some sort of directory? Heck we even have members in the U.K. that could probably tell us where to find the best fish and chips in London!:wink:

To the OP... I've been through Gray, GA many times. I've eaten at Old Clinton BBQ and also at Fresh Air BBQ (the one in Jackson.) Have you checked them out? How do they do it? I thought their BBQ was pretty good.

IMHO - the Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson, GA is the epitome of a BBQ joint. :-D

To the OP... I've been through Gray, GA many times. I've eaten at Old Clinton BBQ and also at Fresh Air BBQ (the one in Jackson.) Have you checked them out? How do they do it? I thought their BBQ was pretty good.

IMHO - the Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson, GA is the epitome of a BBQ joint. :-D

Jackson is about 45 minutes or so from me. I've never eaten at the Fresh Air place there, but I hear it is really good while the stores they've opened up closer to me are not so much. I've even heard they smoke it in Jackson and bring it down to Macon to sell. (I don't know that for sure, but I have read it.) At least if you read the reviews most people think it's much lower standards than the OG Jackson store anyway. I've eaten at the ones in Macon, and also at Old Clinton and while they're both better than some other places around here, I feel like they rely on their sauce to make the bbq vs. letting their bbq make itself. The sauce is good while the bbq is kinda bland.

Not everybody thinks this but personally, I think sauce should be just another compliment to your bbq and the bbq should still shine through. These guys make decent bbq but it could be much much better if you ask me. Old Clinton as far as I know, has a real deal wood pit and I believe so does Fresh Air. Hell, Old Clinton was even on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs. It's been around since the late 50's and Fresh Air has been around since like the 30's.

This is of course my honest opinion. A lot of people I know call Old Clinton and Fresh Air the best they've ever had. I have family that worship at the alter of Old Clinton, and would probably challenge me to a round of fisticuffs if they read this post.

If I had to rank the two, they'd be in the top 5 around my area.

Those Bewleys are fine units, quite similar to the old Oylers, and with front load for the wood, they offer a much easier configuration for many kitchens. I wouldn't hesitate to call them equal, and because of the front load, maybe better than an Oyler. But, I have never used one or seen one in person.

FTR, I seem to recall seeing how much brisket Franklin cooks, it is a lot. Most places don't get close to his volume. There are limits to how much you can cook, based upon chiller volume and supply. But, I understand that folks get upset about if you have great BBQ and they cannot get any. That is an issue.

Most good commercial units do not require a Guru or similar device, they come with that kind of control built in. Personally, I would never consider loading any cooker with 500 pounds of meat and walking away. I think part of being a professional pitmaster is training your crew, and creating the kind of crew environment that you can walk away, because you have the team in place to take care of things. Doing it alone, you are either going to trust technology with over $1000 of meat every night, or you are going to figure out a way to cook when the doors are open.

cooking for a restaurant is a lot different than cooking for catering or backyard. If you have, then all kudos to you going forward with a plan. But, my experience has been that you have a lot of compromises along the way, to getting where you want to go.

Well said landarc, and every time we cook for a party, comp, etc., I think about that compared to what I eat at a restaurants when I just flat out don't feel like cooking.

Cooking is my passion...but I don't want it to be my job.
Well said!

Jackson is about 45 minutes or so from me. I've never eaten at the Fresh Air place there, but I hear it is really good while the stores they've opened up closer to me are not so much. I've even heard they smoke it in Jackson and bring it down to Macon to sell. (I don't know that for sure, but I have read it.) At least if you read the reviews most people think it's much lower standards than the OG Jackson store anyway. I've eaten at the ones in Macon, and also at Old Clinton and while they're both better than some other places around here, I feel like they rely on their sauce to make the bbq vs. letting their bbq make itself. The sauce is good while the bbq is kinda bland.

Not everybody thinks this but personally, I think sauce should be just another compliment to your bbq and the bbq should still shine through. These guys make decent bbq but it could be much much better if you ask me. Old Clinton as far as I know, has a real deal wood pit and I believe so does Fresh Air. Hell, Old Clinton was even on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs. It's been around since the late 50's and Fresh Air has been around since like the 30's.

This is of course my honest opinion. A lot of people I know call Old Clinton and Fresh Air the best they've ever had. I have family that worship at the alter of Old Clinton, and would probably challenge me to a round of fisticuffs if they read this post.

If I had to rank the two, they'd be in the top 5 around my area.

I agree with you about the sauce. It just so happens that Fresh Air serves a thin vinegar sauce that I really like. (It also does not hurt that the first time I went in there I was really hungry - so it tasted great to me!)

Is there a reason a couple large cabinet smokers (Vault or Stumps XL stretch) couldn't be used in a rest. setting? They are pricey, but typically set it and forget it.

Well said landarc, and every time we cook for a party, comp, etc., I think about that compared to what I eat at a restaurants when I just flat out don't feel like cooking.

Cooking is my passion...but I don't want it to be my job.
Well said!

I agree which is why I'm not a mechanic! I love working on old cars and souping up motors but I wouldn't want to work at a shop.

I don't want a restaurant just to do the cooking. It's also got a lot to do with serving and interacting with people. I don't love to cook to just eat it. I love to cook and have other people eat it.

Is there a reason a couple large cabinet smokers (Vault or Stumps XL stretch) couldn't be used in a rest. setting? They are pricey, but typically set it and forget it.

I've never heard of these cookers before so thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check them out.

Hey man again, thanks for the suggestion. Turns out, Stumps Smokers shop is about two miles from where I'm sitting right now. I'll have to go by and check him out. I might do better with a couple smaller cookers, because the way I cook brisket, butts and chicken are different and that would keep me from cooking them all the same way/temp/etc.

Back