Smoked Birria tacos on the Primo XL

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I'm late to the party as usual, but I finally got around to trying my hand at making Birria tacos. I decided I'd smoke the meat before I braised it, and the task was assigned to the Primo XL.

I used 3 different cuts of beef - chunked chuck roast, back ribs, and neck bones. I applied a combo of Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS and Black Ops the night before I cooked them.

Onto the Primo running @ 275* with some hickory wood chips for smoke.

Getting close to braising, so I started the sauce.

Toasted guajillo and ancho chiles in a little bit of oil, and then into boiling water to reconstitute.

In another pan I had tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices. These eventually got combined with the peppers in a blender, and the resulting sauce was used for the braising liquid.

This is the meat at the end of the braise, ready for shredding.

All shredded and ready to go - I mixed some of the strained braising sauce into the meat.

I took some beef broth and mixed the thicker braising sauce into it for flavor. This combination was the consume for dipping the tacos in, as well as to dip the tortillas in before they hit the griddle.

I could've used a better vessel for dipping the tortillas so they didn't get quite as much sauce on them as was probably ideal. Oh well, next time. Dip tortilla in sauce and then onto the griddle top. Sprinkle cheese all across the top until it's melted a bit, then put the Birria meat on one half and fold. Griddle a bit longer on each side.

I preferred mine just as your typical taco, but the griddled cheese method was also good and what everyone else wanted.

The meat had great flavor, and the smoke accent from the grill portion of the cook persisted through all the way to the consume. We'll definitely be making these again, although it was a fair amount of work.

Looks pretty good from here.
I love homemade birria. Few authentic Mexican restaurants serve it, and when they do, it's never as good.
You might want to try dipping tortillas directly in the braising sauce and not thin it with added broth; it might stick better.
I actually like the birria consome as a soup better than eating it as tacos, as long as the smoke flavor isn't too strong.

I enjoy it as a soup as well. A guy down the road from me has made some Birria ramen I’ve had twice now and it’s really good that way.

As I was going through the post I was thinking wow a lot of work lol Which isn't a bad thing as long as it comes out good as yours appeared.

The amount of work is the reason I haven't attempted this yet, but it looks worth it from the pictures.

It wasn’t terrible, but I generally dislike two cooking device cooks on principle. In retrospect I could’ve used both sides of the Primo with the diffuser in place and done both phases of the cook there. Cooking 8 briskets, or briskets and butts and ribs is definitely more work, so it’s all relative I suppose.

Fine looking birria as well as tacos, Neal! I haven't done these since last year, so your post was a great reminder birria tacos are long overdue.

Back