THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I am torn. I want a griddle to do some cooking on, but I am weighing which option would be better. I have long looked at the 17" Blackstone griddle, it is ~273 sq. inches of space. Rec Teq sells a griddle pan as an accessory that is ~370 sq. inches or so. I know several people have separate griddles, but is that better than just having an accessory to go along with your pg? I haven't seen many people talk about having the griddle for their pellet grills. Thanks for the advice.

I think you will be happier with a separate flat top griddle. I have a searing accessory for the pg but prefer to sear on a charcoal grill if I need to. I've seen other pg users sear on their pg but haven't seen a flat top accessory. Not much help ... I know.

You need to decide what you will use and how often. I wanted to multi-task so I bought a single burner removable flat-top for my 2-burner outdoor stove because I don't need a full size griddle, and I use my stove for many other things, like pressure canning, with a Dutch oven for deep frying or making stew or chili. I also have vintage griddles and cast iron skillets that I use. I can also use my steamer pots for pasta, a seafood boil or anything I don't want to cook indoors.

Other than size, the only downside to my flat-top (which does have a great heat diffuser) is that my hot spot is in the center, and my cooler zones are at the edges. With a full size multi burner flat-top you can have a cool end and a hot end.

1pmlZIU.jpg

oUt9pol.jpg

PxmJ9j8.jpg

seVew5T.jpg

inv8l8V.jpg

I have commercial GrillGrate and GriddleGrate for my pellet. Not as good as having a dedicated griddle, but I don't have space for one. Works well.

You need to decide what you will use and how often. I wanted to multi-task so I bought a single burner removable flat-top for my 2-burner outdoor stove because I don't need a full size griddle, and I use my stove for many other things, like pressure canning, with a Dutch oven for deep frying or making stew or chili. I also have vintage griddles and cast iron skillets that I use. I can also use my steamer pots for pasta, a seafood boil or anything I don't want to cook indoors.

Other than size, the only downside to my flat-top (which does have a great heat diffuser) is that my hot spot is in the center, and my cooler zones are at the edges. With a full size multi burner flat-top you can have a cool end and a hot end.

1pmlZIU.jpg

oUt9pol.jpg

PxmJ9j8.jpg

seVew5T.jpg

inv8l8V.jpg

I have this same two burner cooker and I absolutely love it!

I just bought a cast iron griddle pan for my Yoder. It replaces two of the grates when you use it. One side is smooth and the other side has ridges on it so you can cook burgers on the ridged side and then flip it over and cook the bacon and eggs.

Sweetheat - I went the griddle-on-gasser route because I have way too many grills already. I am loving it especially for seafood. Surface area smaller than standalone griddle, but thicker at 3/8 polished steel.

View attachment 185587
View attachment 185588
I'm wondering; how long does it take for the griddle to get hot when on top of the grates and do you remove the flavoring bars to heat it up.

Last edited:
I have a cast-iron griddle and also a stainless one for my Weber gasser, but neither gets use any more since I bought an FTG600. If you’re going to use it a lot, standalone is the way to go. The others are fine for occasional use, but we eat a lot of smashburgers and a fair number of breakfast burritos, so it’s nice to have the dedicated equipment right outside the back door.

Back