THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tim
I have ordered a Culver Farms Smoked Duck Breast from Wild Fork Foods.
https://wildforkfoods.com/collectio...reasts?algoliaHit=true&variant=10810830225444

My first duck in many, many years.
Have it in my head that I want a Cherry Glaze or Sauce for it.
But the few I have found would cost more than the meat.
Considering making my own from Cherry Preserves.

But am becoming receptive to any suggestions for prepared glaze/sauce from any commercial source, any recipe, and any flavor.

Help me open up my mind--OK?

Thanks
TIM

61jkIdwJ+8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Buy some of this. Have a taste. You might want to tart it up with some vinegar.

This sauce is always served with Cantonese roast duck

Other ways to go no cherry or plum sauce.

Orange sauce - use marmalade as a base and add vinegar, herbs and spice

Red wine reduction with some duck stock if you have any

Black peppercorn sauce - just like for steak

We eat a lot of grilled and pan seared wild duck and goose. We like a raspberry & balsamic vinegar sauce. Just make it with a couple tablespoons of raspberry jam and 1/4 to 1/3 cup balsamic. Let it reduce some and finish with a Tsp of butter.

10357517_10102686739863800_5610637030818005922_n.jpg

I think duck needs a savory component. My go to is a port wine cherry rosemary reduction. Reduce the (ruby, not tawny) port wine, add some stock and lots of rosemary, reduce it down. Finish with a little butter. Also great with pork tenderloin.

I've had this recipe for Chipotle-cherry-bourbon sauce in my recipe file for a long while. I've never tried it, but it looks good to me and might fit the bill here. I have no idea where I got it from, I didn't keep track back then.

1/4 lb fresh bing cherries, pitted
2 shots of your favorite bourbon
1/4 cup Tabasco Chipotle sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 bottle (doesn't list size) of Hunts HFCS free catsup

Combine cherries and bourbon in a sauce pan and cook until liquid is reduced and cherries are mushy.
Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth
Return to the sauce pan and add remaining ingredients
Simmer until mixture reduces to a slightly thick consistency, about 30 minutes

I think duck needs a savory component. My go to is a port wine cherry rosemary reduction. Reduce the (ruby, not tawny) port wine, add some stock and lots of rosemary, reduce it down. Finish with a little butter. Also great with pork tenderloin.

Oh, and I forgot to add the dried cherries. You can use fresh too.

Back