Road trip central AL, east to Charleston, SC, north to NYC 20-30 May

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there

Visiting from New Zealand. Doing a Civil Rights trail homage through Montgomery/Selma/Birmingham for three days, then driving two days to the east coast (via White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA), have our 50th wedding anniversary over Memorial Day weekend in Charleston, then a slow cruise north through DC to NYC.

I have been through some of this area previously (Previous_BBQ_trip) so I was particularly looking for locations in the Montgomery/Selma/Birmingham area and then on the road to Charleston. Has anybody got some suggestions?

Obviously I have an eye on BBQ, but also very interested in other Southern specialities.

I intend to return to a fave on the way north (Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC) and have earmarked Rodney Scott’s and Lewis BBQ (for a touch of dreamy brisket). BTW, which Rodney Scott location is the best – how about the original in Hemingway, is that still a goer?

High expectations, high expectations for this trip …

Ralph in Auckland

I don’t have any other suggestions for that area of AL except the maker of Shirley Smokers is in Tuscaloosa.
Muscle shoals recording studio would be north a couple hours.

Congrats on your upcoming 50th anniversary!

If you get to Tuscaloosa, City Cafe in Northport is a great "meat-and-three" southern experience. For BBQ Archibald's in Northport (NOT the Tuscaloosa one) is pretty good - If you follow your phone/GPS and think you've arrived at someone's house, you're there.

In Selma, go to Lannys BBQ. When ordering ask for outside meat with your order. You will get some crunchy skin! Go through Demopolis and go to Canecutters for ribs, brisket and whatever they have cooked. anything will be good.

Thanks minAL ... I asked Jake, the guy who is taking us around for the three days, to include some BBQ lunches and on the first day he picked Lannie's in Selma - great minds think alike - some outside meat it is! I am unlikely to get to Demopolis (such an interesting name) but who knows what will happen.
PS: The Wikipedia entry for Demopolis is very interesting Demopolis, Alabama - Wikipedia

In Selma, go to Lannys BBQ. When ordering ask for outside meat with your order. You will get some crunchy skin! Go through Demopolis and go to Canecutters for ribs, brisket and whatever they have cooked. anything will be good.

Last edited:
Back