Ribs & Wood! Yeaaaaaaah!!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hello folks.. I haven't done a post for a while.. so here we go! :becky:

Lets start the story on the ribs! Had a wicked craving for ribs but I knew if I made ribs the wife would want baby backs and she wanted me to try the brown sugar, honey, butter wrap... Well Time to make her happy! Lets see if this is something I can get into once in a while for a sweeter rib.

This is a couple hours in.. No pics of the wrap, or anything. I'll do final pics.. Just been busy.. you'll see why in a moment!

Ykj9geal.jpg

Well I knew I was cooking today.. couple weeks back I had a huge tree fall on our property during an ice storm That was a crazy night.. took out our power and the transformer in front of our house blew and the next 2 up the road. So without power.. everything was quiet.. and with ice storms and alot of tree's around.. the sound of the tree's snapping/cracking was a bit unsettling LOL.

Well I was unsure what kind of wood it was.. I was told oak, but people here on the forums said they didn't think it was... I didn't think it was either.. So After cutting it up.. I gathered that it could be maple.. I had a guy come by the other day from a tree company asked him what it was.. he confirmed it was a hard maple..

So I struck gold! I'm glad I got the big vertical offset back now! I already had a head start on cutting rounds out of the tree and stacking it up.. As I was a bit unsure when I could split it..

Weather is finally breaking and turning into spring.. high 40's and 50's.. SO I planned on piddle farting around the yard and start cleaning up and splitting some of this wood while cooking BBQ..

The smell from the smoker was very distracting.. but I manged..

Here's the tree that' fell.. the one tree I did not want to fall any time soon! We use to swing on this tree as kids with a tire swing believe it or not!

c5jtMS0l.jpg

Good chunk of the rounds stacked up.. Gonna work on splitting this stack (by hand with an axe, hammer and wedge) in the next few days and re-stack the splits..

8oT3Axxl.jpg

aLnqtURl.jpg

Here we go! So I unwrapped the ribs.. I was surprised by the glaze that the brown sugar/honey/butter made on the ribs.. So I put the ribs on the smoker unwrapped took the drippings from the wrap put it in a bowl.. Mixed in a bunch of BBQ sauce and created a "Glaze"... Oh man.. these things might be goood!

ARG0NCOl.jpg

Good thing you had the ribs cooking because I'm sure that you worked up an appetite doing all of that yardwork. They look great, btw. I hate that the trees fell, but at least no one was injured and you get to enjoy them one more time when you cook with them.

Well I'll say this.. I'M SORRY BBQ BRETHERN!.. I was one of those ass hats that said "nope.. never will I do more than rub and meat!".... The brown sugar, honey, butter actually amazed me how well it turned out.. especially taking the dripping juice and mixing BBQ sauce with it.. Its different than what I normally enjoy but I feel it was needed.. the wife and I devoured all but 3-4 bones on a rack.

I do the same with my Baby Backs, and everybody Loves them!! I use a tangy rub so I get a bite that is Sweet with a little heat on the back end.
Those B Backs Look Killer!!!

Back