Removing dents

The metal thickness might be a bit much for the dent puller referenced above. But since you have unlimited access to both sides standard automotive hammer and dolly work might be appropriate.

What Mylar said... If there is a crease in the dent, it may be
the ONLY way to go.

Wait a minute. For a UDS???
A dent or two just may be what's appropriate.

You could try massaging the dent with tallow from a prime brisket, and then hit the other side with a naked fatty.

I'm sure you can find some good videos on how to do this for cars. I doubt you'll need all the fancy tools. There is a thing called PDR - paintless dent repair. You can probably find some drum dent removal tips. Hammering on the dent will make it worse.

You could try massaging the dent with tallow from a prime brisket, and then hit the other side with a naked fatty.

I'm sure you can find some good videos on how to do this for cars. I doubt you'll need all the fancy tools. There is a thing called PDR - paintless dent repair. You can probably find some drum dent removal tips. Hammering on the dent will make it worse.

Why will hammering it make it worse?

Why will hammering it make it worse?

If you've ever done auto body repair you'd know that hammer & dolly work is not intuitive. A dent is an area where the metal has been stretched. To return the metal to its original shape requires that you "shrink" it where it's been stretched. Hammering is done in such a way as to "push" the stretched metal back into shape. It's more complicated than I can go into here, but indiscriminate hammering can change the stretched dent into a raised bump that's even harder to flatten.

Too bad Bondo won't hold up to the temperatures...

How about a picture of these dents? Some torching and some tapping will probably bring it back to acceptable. Although there's also the time investment vs just getting a new barrel for 25-40 on craigslist.

I'm only throwing out ideas here because I have no experience in the area, but how about a small hydraulic jack and a section of wood (4x4, 12-16" long) and crank the jack until the wood pops the dent to an acceptable level.

Two engineer hammers will solve your problems. Use one as a hammer the other as a anvil/dolly. Alternate between the two.

A far easier solution is to make up an outlandish story for how the dents got there and embrace the Ugly of UDS, I'm with Colin. Accessorize it with an equally outlandish paint job.

I think a dent will only add character. Pending on the dent I use to use a bathroom plunger to get a dent out of a car. Just a stupid idea

Back